• Novato, CA
Votes |
My 1st NPN

Steve Hodgdon
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Novato, CA
Posted Jan 20 2016, 12:33

I'm new to note investing and decided to take a learn by doing approach. I own some commercial real estate, ran a property management business for a while (ugh!) and owned a collection agency for 17 years.  So distressed notes seem to fit my experience.

What I bought:

A 1st from Harbour Portfolio through a Southern California broker. He sold me one account from a pool.

It took a few weeks for the hard file to arrive from NAA, Harbour's servicing entitiy.

I boarded the loan at FCI and hired a local experienced attorney to start the foreclosure process. Paid a $2500 retainer. $500 over the Fed guideline. I had a trusted local reference.

Why jump straight to foreclosure? I think I will every time. Urgency will help bring borrowers to the table.

All contact #s for borrower are no good. TLO had 2 potential hits, both parties claim no contact with borrower. Borrower made a $1600 down payment on a $32,000 note. Never made a payment. So, no reason to attempt a workout.

Harbour had repossessed this home from prior borrower. In fact they sold this home 3x over 5 years. Pictures from 2014 show a house that is marginally inhabitable at best.

Taxes are owed for 2015. $1400.

Property is assessed @ $60k. UPB including taxes and interest is $38,000. I paid $14k.

I believe I'm paying for my education. Broker has been very forthcoming with advice and experience.

By the time I get possession in 6 months, I'll be about $20k into the property. A pipedream sale @ $30k, but likely $25k.

I'll update as events warrant. I'm hoping to share newbie mistakes with my fellow BP'ers and get back new connections in return. Please feel free to comment.

Best of luck to all.

Loading replies...