Skip to content
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes

User Stats

Votes
William Howley
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
should properties be put in my name or LLC from Tax perspective?

William Howley
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Nov 22 2016, 10:26

Hi, I am looking to purchase more property (currently have 3 units), but I am at a point where I need to decide whether to put the properties in my own name or my LLC for tax benefits / perspective.

Here is my current situation. 

I work full time 40hr/week w-2, and make about 100k. 

I have an LLC (wrapped in an S corp) in which I own 1 condo, worth 60k, with $860/m rent.

7/1/2016 purchased a duplex in my own name, worth about 130k, with 1560/m rents. 

I like the supposed protection of an LLC (although it might not actually protect you, different discussion), but I have experienced problems with banks getting financing for properties in LLC's.

Owning property in my personal name allows for easier financing, but more risk, requiring the future need for a personal umbrella policy. 

From a tax perspective my thoughts are.... it is wise to put the future properties in my own name because I will be able to use the building depreciation against my personal income. thus paying less taxes at the end of the year.

If I were to put the properties in my LLC would I be able benefit from the depreciation?

Any thoughts? 

Loading replies...