Tax Lien Certificate Training with Ted Thomas

4 Replies

Hi BP peeps! 

I have been reading about Tax Lien Certificates and Tax Deed Sales. I came across  this guy Ted Thomas  who offers a training course with over the phone coaching and info on Tax lien auctions all over the country. The course is a few thousand dollars so I figured I'd do some research before investing all that money. Has anyone here done Ted Thomas' program or do you recommend any other programs or books? I thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Erick 

@Erick Chavarria Ted Thomas was one of the early guys promoting tax liens. Someone gave me his course and I just skimmed through it and was not impressed.  A book I have heard recommended a number of times is "The 16% Solution" (or something similar).  

One of the things about tax sale is the regulations vary tremendously from sate to state. You need to know how the law in the specific area you bid affect your returns. I see a regular cycle of big guys coming into MD and bidding only to learn after a few years, they didn't earn near what they though they would.

BP is a pretty good source of specific information about tax lien and tax deed sales.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Don't waste your money on these type of "courses" or what ever they call it. It's a sales pitch with all hype and no substance. The majority like this just up sell you for more and you never really end up with anything. You can find more information from sites like this, facebook groups, youtube videos, or just google. They charge you $$$ and you never really learn specific details you need about particular states where you will be investing.  You don't need to spend money to find out what tax liens are and that they can be a good investment. You do have to spend a lot of research, time and experience to learn the specific laws and bidding procedures for the state you want to invest in. These generic national programs will never teach you the details and what you really need to know for your state.