Note Investor Taxes / CPA - Non-performing specifically..

Note Investor Taxes / CPA - Non-performing specifically..

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 4 votes

I imagine there are some very specific tax strategies for non-performing note investors. 

For example, if you purchase a $500k legal balance (unpaid principal + accrued interest/fees) for $200k, then rehab and sell the property for $300k, can you write off the uncollected $200k (the $500k - $300k difference i.e. not pay taxes on your profits, as on paper as the lender, it is a "loss")?

What strategies exist? Thank you in advance!

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Amherst, VA · Member since 2015 · 386 posts · 400 votes
8y

Ehhhh. I am not a CPA, but your basis would be what you paid for the note, not the UPB. In this case 300k - 200k - your expenses. You didn't lose 200k, the seller did, and they would be entitled to count it as losses.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt it.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Amherst, VA · Member since 2015 · 386 posts · 400 votes
    8y

    Ehhhh. I am not a CPA, but your basis would be what you paid for the note, not the UPB. In this case 300k - 200k - your expenses. You didn't lose 200k, the seller did, and they would be entitled to count it as losses.

    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt it.

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I agree with @Patrick Desjardins you can only use the amount you paid for the asset plus any expenses for your cost basis. 

    Bob

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 507 posts · 171 votes
    8y

    Newbie here...so I'm tracking, does that mean he'll have to pay taxes on the 100K he profited? 

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Yes the 100k profit, or whatever is left over after rehab (note purchase + expenses + rehab = cost basis) will be taxed and most likely as income not capital gains. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Amherst, VA · Member since 2015 · 386 posts · 400 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chad U.:

    Yes the 100k profit, or whatever is left over after rehab (note purchase + expenses + rehab = cost basis) will be taxed and most likely as income not capital gains. 

    One thing I'm curious about, and never asked my accountant is.. If you own the note for over a year and then it turns into a REO. You fixed it up and sell it in 2 months. That would still be capital gain since you owned the asset for over a year, and the REO was just a different stage of the process. Right? As opposed to purchasing a house to rehab.

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Desjardins:
    Originally posted by @Chad U.:

    Yes the 100k profit, or whatever is left over after rehab (note purchase + expenses + rehab = cost basis) will be taxed and most likely as income not capital gains. 

    One thing I'm curious about, and never asked my accountant is.. If you own the note for over a year and then it turns into a REO. You fixed it up and sell it in 2 months. That would still be capital gain since you owned the asset for over a year, and the REO was just a different stage of the process. Right? As opposed to purchasing a house to rehab.

     No unfortunately not, if your main source of income is active real estate investing and doing numerous deals per year, then its considered income. However if only doing a few deals here and there then may be considered a capital gain.  However take my opinion with a grain of salt as each persons scenario is different. 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Appreciate all of the responses. As the foreclosing lender, can you 1031 your profits to purchase another note?

    I liekly just need to find a good CPA.

    Any recommendations for a CPA that understands an individual investor's note/non-performing business? 

  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel E. My understanding is "no," you cannot 1031. Notes are personal property and not real property.

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I second the 'no' from Andy. 1031 only applies to real property

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Andy Mirza

    @Bob Malecki

    Agreed- you cannot 1031 short sale proceeds, discounted payoff, etc.

    However, after the foreclosure sale and the property is now owned free and clear, isn't it considered real property?

    Ag

  • Lender · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Daniel E. The answer to that is above my paygrade and I suggest you consult with a 1031 expert. 

    For this discussion's sake, I would say no for 1031'ing an REO to another note. IMO, that would be real property to personal property. If you 1031'd from REO to other real estate, maybe you're ok. Again, this is my speculation....

  • Investor · Encino, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Daniel E.:

    Appreciate all of the responses. As the foreclosing lender, can you 1031 your profits to purchase another note?

    I liekly just need to find a good CPA.

    Any recommendations for a CPA that understands an individual investor's note/non-performing business? 

    Hi Daniel - did you happen to get any good CPA referrals? :/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.