Upcoming Lien On A Home

8 Replies

So I've got some information about a townhome property in a HOA complex that is about $4k delinquency for not paying HOA and the other is $7k. The one whose $7k lawyered up and worked out something with the city, wasn't told what. The $4k one has nothing done so far but HOA is looking to put a lien.

I want to buy that house. What strategies are there for buying a home that is about to have a lien put on it? Thanks.

You can approach owner before or after lien and try to get them to sell. You can try and buy it at delinquent tax sale auction if they're behind on their property taxes.

HOA dues/assessments typically become liens when due, whether or not recorded. That's why this is an item that is always addressed by any title company that is handling the transfer of a property.

In other words, the item in question may already be a lien.

Accordingly, don't assume that just because there isn't a lien of record that the balance won't need to be paid... in full. And by the time anything does get recorded, expect attorneys fees to be included in the balance due.

@John Underwood

Not sure what their situation is with taxes but I know they are not paying HOA. May be easy to assume that if they aren't paying HOA, maybe they aren't paying taxes. How long do they have to stop paying before it goes to auction?

Originally posted by @Uneeq Khan :

@John Underwood

Not sure what their situation is with taxes but I know they are not paying HOA. May be easy to assume that if they aren't paying HOA, maybe they aren't paying taxes. How long do they have to stop paying before it goes to auction?

You'll need to ask the county delinquent tax office. Sometimes they wait a few years before bringing them to auction.

You should be able to look at your county's web site and see if taxes are delinquent.