Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andy Mirza
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Votes |
Servicer Indemnification Issues

Andy Mirza
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Posted Sep 28 2021, 06:25

In the last 5 years, we've been sued in civil court 4 times for wrongful foreclosure for non-judicial foreclosures. These have all been meritless lawsuits meant to stop a foreclosure sale. In judicial foreclosure states, you have to file a lawsuit to foreclose so I've gotten used to the process of borrowers putting up defenses, which is very similar to these 4 lawsuits where the borrower is the plaintiff.

Our servicer has been named as a defendant in the 4 cases, 2 of which were by the same borrower.

At the beginning, you need to be clear on who is defending whom. In one case, we (trustee doing the foreclosure, servicer, us) decided that each party would represent themselves. The borrower dismissed her suit when the sale was stayed & her Ch 13 BK case was confirmed. A problem occurred when the servicer tried to stick us with their entire legal bill.

We have another situation that just started in which the servicer is telling us that they are retaining outside counsel to review our defense strategy before deciding whether they will let us represent us or have their counsel do so. All at our expense.

I looked at the indemnification clause in the servicing agreement & I don't think this procedure is covered. I have no problem if they want to "tag along" and have us represent them alongside us in a case that we are paying for anyway. I have no problem if they want to have input. But if you exercise your right to have your own counsel, it has to be at your own expense. We have no control over the expenses that that outside counsel will run up. And, when looking at the complaint itself, the servicer is being accused of misconduct.

Anyone have experiences that they're willing to share? @Chris Seveney?

Loading replies...