St Paul TISH Report Required Fixes?

7 Replies

Twin Cities Investors, am I required to fix all items called out on the Truth In Housing report? I have a property that can be a quick cosmetic turn. There are some plumbing issues that don't meet today's codes. I would like to replace bath fixtures, vanities, and repair a couple "duct taped" drains as well. Can the inspector require me to fix everything?!

You have to correct EVERY deficiency  on the TISH.  That's why they do inspections - to insure things are safe/correct

@Bruce Runn I checked with the inspector that performed the TISH report. The homeowner is NOT required to fix anything on the report, actually. However, because I'm updating some fixtures, I'm required to remove the S-traps on those fixtures and install the vents. If I were not touching anything, I would  NOT have to fix.  It's the city that requires the work. As the TISH inspector confirmed, the report is a "buyer beware" thing. Simply appearing on the report does not require that any of those items be fixed.

I should qualify- Here, You have to remedy TISH where it says required fixes and I have to believe it's so in St Paul.  You don't have to fix non essentials like decaying windows, out of level floors etc but I can't believe required problems don't have to be addressed. That doesn't make sense.  What if the inspector calls out a backdrafting water heater where co2 is getting pushed back into the home?  St. Paul doesn't require that to be fixed?  I challenge that.  Where it says required repair, that has to be fixed and appears in a separate section.  If you don't have those, you are ok to go.

@Bruce Runn This is info from the TISH inspector : True that some items are called out as Hazardous. However, you could - if inclined - still sell the property "as-is" without any repairs. The TISH provides the buyer with knowledge of what they're getting in to. Of course, those items will discount the price and may be required to be fixed by the Buyer as part of the sale. However, the City does not require remedy before the property is sold. If the property has been sitting vacant and is listed on the Category 2 Vacant list by the City, then they are able to require that the property be brought completely up to code before resale.

@Joe Schaak

Wow,  I've looked at category 1 and 2 before but have avoided St. Paul for a couple reasons, primarily how tough they can be on requirements but still find it hard to believe they don't require hazardous/requirement repair items but you've researched it.  Thanks for the heads up.

@Bruce Runn , I'm constantly surprised by the city. Things can also vary from inspector to inspector.

@Joe Schaak & @Bruce Runn the TISH is not the full story.  If you encounter a Category vacant home you still must complete the required repairs.

Vacant Building Sale Review Program

The City of Saint Paul requires a review of the sale of all vacant buildings. Requirements differ based on the category of vacancy:

Category I

  • Payment of registration and fees
  • Notify the City of new ownership
  • Restore utilities and comply with orders for legal occupancy
  • Obtain a Truth-in-Sale of Housing Report

Category II (No sale without City approval)

  • Registration of new ownership
  • Payment of registration and fees
  • Code compliance report
  • Cost estimate from licensed contractor for all repairs
  • A schedule for completion of the repairs
  • Proof of financial capability to complete all repairs.

Category III (No sale without City approval)

  • No sale without a Certificate of Code Compliance or Certificate of Occupancy.

For full program details, contact Vacant Buildings in DSI at 651-266- eight9 eight9 . There is a fee for the Sale Review Process!


Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here