• Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Kansas City Tenant Bill of Rights

Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorPosted Nov 7 2019, 14:44

Hello fellow Kansas City investors and property managers (and everyone else for that matter), I think it's important to make you aware of the Kansas City Mayor's Special Committee on Housing Policy which will be holding its second meeting on the proposed Kansas City Tenant Bill of Rights. Some of what's in the bill is fine and a lot is already law. But some of it is really bad. Most notably are prohibitions on screening for evictions or felonies unless "unless the landlord can demonstrate the rental decision was based on all information available including consideration of the frequency, recentness, and severity of a criminal record." Talk about vague!

The latest version seems to have been softened a bit (you can see it here). You can also see my longer critique here. But I would recommend coming to the next meeting at that Kansas City, MO City Hall at 414 E 12th St., 26th Floor Council Chambers on Wednesday, November 13th at 4:00. (Event page is here.)

I would also recommend getting involved with Landlord Inc. and @Michelle Winberry's group the KC Regional Housing Alliance in general.

Of course there are bad landlords and tenants need some protection. But property owners also need reasonable laws that allow us to protect ourselves, our businesses, our employees, our contractors and our other residents. Not being able to screen for felonies (or being severely hampered in doing so) would, among other things, put other residents at serious risk in certain situations. Please join us on the 13th if you can and let the housing committee hear your opinion. You can find there work emails here (please be respectful and pithy). 

Loading replies...