Las Vegas Flip in Section 10 Potential $400,000 Net Upside

Las Vegas Flip in Section 10 Potential $400,000 Net Upside

Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 35 votes

Okay, I have been working on this deal with an associate and friend Victor G. (also a member on this site) for the last six weeks, and we finally have it under contract. Bank REO, 4,700 square foot two bedroom house sitting on half an acre with a swimming pool in the middle of the living room!

The plan is to turn it into a 4 bedroom 4 bath, 5,000 square foot home, moving the pool from the inside to the outside, and of course getting rid of the river rock!

1780 Belcastro Las Vegas 89117 under contract for $380,000. The house sits in Section 10, much sought after and the comps are as follows;

a. Minimum market comp is $146 a foot, $730,000, if we sell at minimum.

b. Average market comp is $188 a foot, $940,0000, if we sell at average.

c. Maximum market comp is $229 a foot, $1,145,000 if we sell at the maximum.

The plan is to turn it into a 4 bedroom 4 bath, moving the pool from the inside to the outside, and of course getting rid of the river rock!

I have just had my architect develop a site plan and "as is" layout, as well as "new" drawings and need to get my electrical and engineering and mechanical estimates, but I figure the rehab could be anywhere from $140,000 to $180,000. With holding expenses will be in the entire project for around $580,000 to $600,000. 

The upside is still pretty big even if we sell at minimum per square foot comps. My question is the regarding the amount of brain damage and time it will take and would I be better off working three or four smaller deals. Even if the combined upside is not as great, there is less risk in numbers. 

Any ideas?

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@Jack R.  I am going to throw in with Christopher and Omar on this one.  I think you are going to be into this for $200k minimum renovations and it could go to $300k very easily.  I also agree with the resale value assessments at $700-$750k and where this home is will not command the same level of attention and rapid resale as the ones very close and behind the gates.  You will need everything on this to go perfectly sand get top dollar in 30 days or less and you MIGHT see $100,000 in ROIC (return on invested capital).  With your resources and system for smaller flips Jack, you can do that and double that on 3-4 properties at 1/2 the price of this one.  That's my $0.02 worth.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Ripon, WI - US · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    If you are confident in your comps and rehab budget and the days on market for properties of this type are not too long I would think you should go for it. Also you need to consider your risk tolerance and whether you think you can take this on. So long as you remember holding, repairs, realtor fees and a buffer for if you need to do more work than expected you should go for it @Jack R.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    Erick I appreciate the vote of confidence. I am very sure about the numbers. Holding costs come out to about $5600 a month. So even if I am on the market for a year (of course it bites) there is still enough left over. My challenge is that I can do four or five projects (more numbers less risk) not make the same upside but quicker returns. Thanks.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    I prefer 1 versus 4 or 5 deals and consider it to be more efficient and less brain damage, but to each his own.

    If the place needs kitchen, baths, pools, mechanical work, closing costs, holding costs, I could not get it all done $32/sqft but I may not have the same resources as you.

    Good luck...looks like a wild project.  If there is that much upside in the house and you have some reservations, consider wholesaling it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    Wow to think I offered $280k and thought it was too much. I estimated the bid around 200-250k and the comps around $700k max. Good luck. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Omar Merced:

    Wow to think I offered $280k and thought it was too much. I estimated the bid around 200-250k and the comps around $700k max. Good luck. 

    I Agree with Omar.

    We also looked at this property and even with high end finishes, its only worth 700k max. You're probably looking closer to $300k in repairs to return the property to a 'normal' state. I think you need to go drive this neighborhood and understand that you can't just pull random properties and assume you're going to get the same $/sq ft. This neighborhood has some very high dollar gated communities in close proximity, but this house is not in one of them.

    This is a great example of what is wrong with the Las Vegas market.

    -Christopher

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jack R.  I am going to throw in with Christopher and Omar on this one.  I think you are going to be into this for $200k minimum renovations and it could go to $300k very easily.  I also agree with the resale value assessments at $700-$750k and where this home is will not command the same level of attention and rapid resale as the ones very close and behind the gates.  You will need everything on this to go perfectly sand get top dollar in 30 days or less and you MIGHT see $100,000 in ROIC (return on invested capital).  With your resources and system for smaller flips Jack, you can do that and double that on 3-4 properties at 1/2 the price of this one.  That's my $0.02 worth.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Erik Johnson It says you're a structural engineer. Maybe you can help me with this question. The pool that has to be removed from the inside. How does that affect the rest of the building? That was my biggest concern looking at this one. 

  • Robert AdamsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Henderson, NV · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    10y

    I am curious about the pool as well. Can it simply be filled in? Or is there more to it?

    I have not researched this in great depth but @Omar Merced's numbers sounds pretty accurate for that area. And the note that @Christopher Brainard made about this not being the typical neighborhood with typical comps etc is 100% accurate.

    The Adams Team at Rothwell Gornt Companies4.970 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Omar Merced:

    Wow to think I offered $280k and thought it was too much. I estimated the bid around 200-250k and the comps around $700k max. Good luck. 

     Hi thank you, I appreciate everyone's input, as Charlie puts it, two cents! Thank you. The plan is to convert it to a four bedroom four bath and as such ran the comps in that manner, so I am not sure how you developed your comps Omar but I would be interested. Two heads are better than one.

    Those of us who are familiar with section 10 know that it can be all over the place but it is a very popular area for people to buy. If you have driven the area, you will see a lot of new construction going up with upper end homes . Omar maybe you want to JV? Ha ha. Thanks for the input.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ripon, WI - US · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced I would think that the pool should be sitting on a foundation strong enough to support it so removing it and putting in a floor should be no problem. The pool isn't supporting anything else in the house so you could remove and shouldn't have any problems.

    @Robert Adams I wouldn't recommend filling in the pool with concrete as concrete has a density of 150lb/ft3 and water has a density of 62lb/ft3 so it would double the weight of the pool. It could cause significant structural issues if you were to fill in the pool with concrete due to foundation settlement or overstressed members.

    I do know someone that bought a house with a pool inside that removed the pool to make a larger living room and that house seems to have no issues many years after the fact.

    Also I have not seen this house so I can't confirm that removing the pool wouldn't have a negative affect on the house.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Brainard

    @Charlie Fitzgerald

    @Robert Adams

    Property is back on the market. Anyone want to partner? I submitted my offer again.

    @Erik Johnson Thx! You rock!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced

    Not at $280k :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 550 votes
    10y

    This house also backs to Oakey, so there's external obsolescence to deal with as well.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Erik Johnson  my personal resi in Oregon had a pool 3/4 in the new foot print.. I dug it out and made it into a basement.. which is exceedingly rare in new construction in Orygun

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Phillip Dwyer  @Omar Merced  I walked through it you get the price low enough seems like it would pay to just bulldoze the whole enchilada and start over..

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Don't forget that higher priced homes take longer to sell.

    Mike

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.