Flat roof replacement

5 Replies | Toledo, Ohio

I have a property under contract in Toledo right now and it needs a new roof. It's a flat top, approximately 14-15 squares and the few quotes I've been able to get have been exceedingly high.. 

Does anyone have experience with flat roofs in Toledo and can recommend a company?

Hi Alan - I would recommend you evaluate the current roof and decide what is most efficient. 

I have an 80’ long 4 unit roof with a 1/12 pitch I did in steel. You can order steel up to 40’ long so you will have very few seams. I install my own steel roofs, they’re easy. Menards is your supplier. Forever life. 

EPDM- rubber roofing would be your next option. I’ve installed it once but with no or one seam they’re super waterproof. ~30yr life. 

Torch down asphalt is my least favorite since I don’t do them...I’ve had several installed on back porch roofs. When contractors put them down and they know what they’re doing it’s a fine move. I personally don’t like a seam every 30” rolling down my roofs (large roofs)...other options are far more durable. 

You have several options for installation depending on your comfort for risk and capability level. I hire direct for the labor paying hourly in cash at the end of every day...supply my own materials...and usually know more about proper installation than the guys working for me. 

You can hire a small group and supply materials but I recommend you avoid anyone with a business card and logo...they will have overhead. (Up goes that risk again, but I like this because you don’t pay them $$ down till work is completed)

Finally you can shop crews with a logo and letterhead, it’s really a simple matter then of price (and ensuring the cheapest bidder isn’t a farce and shows up...after you hire a full-dog-and-pony-show contractor and still know more about installation than they do it’s probably time to form a crew for each job)(you will commonly pay 20% down since they are providing materials)

There’s less fact to the process than luck and experience from dropping the ball a few times. I have finished every single job I’ve started over the past decade but I certainly have fired my share of full-service contractors and dismissed hourly guys who say they can walk a roof but can’t.  

Originally posted by @Andrew Fidler :

Hi Alan - I would recommend you evaluate the current roof and decide what is most efficient. 

I have an 80’ long 4 unit roof with a 1/12 pitch I did in steel. You can order steel up to 40’ long so you will have very few seams. I install my own steel roofs, they’re easy. Menards is your supplier. Forever life. 

EPDM- rubber roofing would be your next option. I’ve installed it once but with no or one seam they’re super waterproof. ~30yr life. 

Torch down asphalt is my least favorite since I don’t do them...I’ve had several installed on back porch roofs. When contractors put them down and they know what they’re doing it’s a fine move. I personally don’t like a seam every 30” rolling down my roofs (large roofs)...other options are far more durable. 

You have several options for installation depending on your comfort for risk and capability level. I hire direct for the labor paying hourly in cash at the end of every day...supply my own materials...and usually know more about proper installation than the guys working for me. 

You can hire a small group and supply materials but I recommend you avoid anyone with a business card and logo...they will have overhead. (Up goes that risk again, but I like this because you don’t pay them $$ down till work is completed)

Finally you can shop crews with a logo and letterhead, it’s really a simple matter then of price (and ensuring the cheapest bidder isn’t a farce and shows up...after you hire a full-dog-and-pony-show contractor and still know more about installation than they do it’s probably time to form a crew for each job)(you will commonly pay 20% down since they are providing materials)

There’s less fact to the process than luck and experience from dropping the ball a few times. I have finished every single job I’ve started over the past decade but I certainly have fired my share of full-service contractors and dismissed hourly guys who say they can walk a roof but can’t.  

Thank you so much Andrew, I really appreciate your insight. 

metal on flat roof possible?
4500 sqft in heavy snow load with roof drains.
currently modified bittermann roof?? 

Originally posted by @Andrew Fidler :

Not in your area but we went with a fibre-glass material that was glued down over 2400 sq ft of an original leak prone metal roof with some old torched down tar but no gravel.

That was 10 years ago, cost about $14,000 & it has been amazing esp., with the heavy ice & snow loads we get here that are uncommon in your area. However, new metal roofing would be more cost effective, but up here we tend to get moisture/humidity build up under the metal sheets & purlins if we do not have an adequate slope.

@Jeremy A. - If the roof is truly a flat design (with the roof drains and all) then that's a different beast than I've ever dealt with...the roof I put the steel on had a 1/12 pitch - so a low end with gutter and a high end with parapet wall. 

Naturally you are in the worst roofing season imaginable - your good roofers are sitting on a beach enjoying the down season while the junky ones are making super low bids to try to keep their utilities on...bidding jobs that I strongly suspect aren't going to be quality work simply with the cold weather making things innately difficult.

Can you patch and limp along till Spring?

Regardless you will need to get a real contractor on this one, someone with flat roof expertise. These guys do advertise on Craigslist in my area, I'm just not positive they are active right now in this season.

Andrew