Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
I saw this on the news and thought it post worthy. A local "property management" CEO was sent to jail for bad rentals. I wonder how much of this type of thing is going on in my dear city?
Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
I just saw the original post. I find it so funny when people who run and own small business use terms such as CEO, CFO, etc. That guy was no more a CEO as I am a Astronaut. Calling small business owners a CEO is an insult to actual CEO's. I have worked for real CEO's, it is a very difficult job that very few are qualified to do. CEO's typically are senior officers and report to a board of directors. President would is fine for larger small business with multiple employees. One person shops should be owner, manager, etc.
Real Estate Consultant · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 82 votes
10y
Well, this was one of the guys that screwed me over, too. He is NOT licensed, which is what I found after the damage was done. Now that he is in jail, I can actually serve him even though there is very little chance I get some money back. McNutt was initially very reliable, did repairs for very reasonable prices, and even found me a possible lease purchase tenant that helped fix up my property. However, in lieu of getting a lease purchase option down payment, he gave the tenant two months free rent so in essence I paid for the repairs. The tenant paid McNutt in cash. As soon as I terminated my management agreement with him (based on losing another possible lease purchase tenant for a different property because he did not make the repairs in time as he promised), the tenant stopped paying me. Now I have to proceed with eviction.
Still after terminating my agreement with McNutt, he continued to harass one of my other tenants asking to inspect the property because he supposedly had a buyer. I was never informed of this until recently and I don't know how he could have sold my property without my consent but it may have been another scam he could have planned on the potential buyer.
Ironically, I got the news of McNutt's arrest from another management company I hired after McNutt and terminated also within a short period of time because they were going out of business without telling me ahead of time. Now they are eager to send me the past rents :-)
Thankfully, I am now with a very reputable management company that I was referred to that otherwise would not manage my few properties. In addition, I have an offer on one of my properties and just received a call from another potential buyer from my listings on postlets.com which posts to a large group of sites without any additional efforts.
Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
10y
Hey Sabrina, not sure how I missed your post, but just read it. I am sorry to hear of your woes here in Memphis. I am just cutting my teeth as a buy and hold investor. I am close to quitting the day job and making this my full time effort.
Even though I am new to the game, I see a lot of frustration from renters that I talk to and also local contractors that I work with. I think there are some significant issues with outside investment and poor property management here in town. I don't know if it is better or worse in other areas, but there are too many stories just like yours floating around regarding the Memphis market. It find it a bit embarrassing, because I am from Memphis and love my town.
I hope the situation has resolved itself and you are working with a good property manager.
Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
I just saw the original post. I find it so funny when people who run and own small business use terms such as CEO, CFO, etc. That guy was no more a CEO as I am a Astronaut. Calling small business owners a CEO is an insult to actual CEO's. I have worked for real CEO's, it is a very difficult job that very few are qualified to do. CEO's typically are senior officers and report to a board of directors. President would is fine for larger small business with multiple employees. One person shops should be owner, manager, etc.
Logistics Manager · Cordova, TN · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 32 votes
10y
@Alex Craig I believe that was perfectly said.. I totally agree. I have worked with several CEO's as well. I have not found many that are truly qualified to hold that title.