• houston, TX
Votes |
First House/Live In for under 90k?

Rick Alvi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Posted Aug 29 2015, 04:13

Hey ya'll, 

I'm saving for my first house (I'm tired of living in apartments for the last 4 years). I'm 27 and self-employed. I live frugally and I'm starting to research houses from $65-90k (70-75k would make me really happy). My main concern is safety, but the good news is, I'm willing to travel up to an hour outside of central Houston for the location. This will be my primary residence, but after a few years I may rent it out. I'm not interested in doing too too much rehab, my budget for rehab may be around $8k. Do you have any recommendations for neighborhoods or areas around town that may offer a decent and somewhat safe place to live? So far I've looked into Deer Park, Atascocita, La Marque, West Houston, and NW Houston/Cypress. I've found some houses for sale in my budget range, but I wanted to get some of your opinions. Thanks!

Rick

User Stats

Votes
Sandra Gibson
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
  • Katy, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 05:25

I think that its great that you are open minded to the location. They are rezoning flood zones right now and I would concentrate on areas that have no issues. I also ruled out any place without natural gas. Maybe you could consider a full kitchen and bath rehab if the location was right, in the end you would have a nicer property and hopefully a lower tax appraisal.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Alvi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 06:07

Thank you Sandra, yes I am very open minded! Thanks for letting me know about the rezoning of flood zones. I'll have to look into that. I'm also looking into Spring (hardy toll road and cypresswood area). I've lived here all my life but still feel like I don't know this large city all that well! 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stephan
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 06:30

You might find something in that price range in semi rural areas like Hempstead or Hockley. Search Waller county in MlS. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Wallace
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 06:36

I have owned several properties in 77373 (the Hardy/Cypresswood area you mentioned). It is going to be your best option on the North side of the city to find properties in your price range. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Alvi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 06:44

Thank you all so much for the quick responses :) 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Wallace
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 07:03

@Rick Alvi

Since you are posting on this website, and because you mentioned "in a few years I may rent it out", I am assuming that you have a desire to invest in rental property beyond the one that "may" be rented out in the future.... So a couple of things about that. What you are  planning/doing is a spot on formula for success as a real estate investor.

1- buying as an owner occupant is the easiest and least expensive way to buy property, and sometimes you get advantages that others don't when buying foreclosures. You can repeat the process ... Buy as a primary and live in your "2nd rental property" and so on... All with minimal down payments and lower interest rates... 

2- living frugally - keep your expenses low and you will have that much more to invest in real estate.... Before you know it your investments will cover all your monthly expenses.

jeff

User Stats

Votes
Fred Heller
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 08:25

You really need to be working with a realtor. There are hundreds of houses in your price range. The problem is most of them are rundown and badly in need of repairs. A realtor can weed those out for you.

I'm going to say Texas City is your best best. There are homes in your price range there that seem to be in pretty decent shape. There are also homes available in that price range in places like Dayton and Crosby, but that may be too far of a drive for you.

PM me if you would like more info.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Huy N.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 08:34

@Rick Alvi

also go to har and setup an alert for the house that met your criteria, i'm pretty sure they will also let you do that with a regular customer account as well, or you can pm me your email with the criteria of the house u r looking for and i will set up an alert to go to your email daily or weekly .

welcome to BP

User Stats

Votes
Michael Le
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 12:25

@Huy N. Yes, HAR will definitely let you set up auto-alerts on your searches with a Consumer Account. That would be the easiest way to go. The problem would likely be too many matches unless he narrows down his prospective area.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Kersten
  • Cypress, TX
Votes |
  • Cypress, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 13:41
Originally posted by @Sandra Gibson:

I think that its great that you are open minded to the location. They are rezoning flood zones right now and I would concentrate on areas that have no issues. I also ruled out any place without natural gas. Maybe you could consider a full kitchen and bath rehab if the location was right, in the end you would have a nicer property and hopefully a lower tax appraisal.

Why did you rule out homes with natural gas? 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Alvi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 15:26
Originally posted by @Fred Heller:

You really need to be working with a realtor. There are hundreds of houses in your price range. The problem is most of them are rundown and badly in need of repairs. A realtor can weed those out for you.

I'm going to say Texas City is your best best. There are homes in your price range there that seem to be in pretty decent shape. There are also homes available in that price range in places like Dayton and Crosby, but that may be too far of a drive for you.

PM me if you would like more info.

Good luck!

Thanks Fred, I plan on working with a realtor 100%, I just wasn't sure if a real estate agent would want to even work with me since I'm at least 6-8 months away from actually making my first offer on a property (pending financing approval of course). I probably shouldn't let fear run me, but my gut is telling me I may not be worth their time at this point. I'll look into Texas City, Dayton, and Crosby. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Alvi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 15:29
Originally posted by @Huy N.:

@Rick Alvi

also go to har and setup an alert for the house that met your criteria, i'm pretty sure they will also let you do that with a regular customer account as well, or you can pm me your email with the criteria of the house u r looking for and i will set up an alert to go to your email daily or weekly .

welcome to BP

Thanks Huy! That's very generous of you!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Huy N.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 17:13

@Rick Alvi

NP! I love to add value to other people's life

User Stats

Votes
Roger Smart
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Aug 29 2015, 20:25

A smart agent will work you for that long. Especially if you show them that you are going to be making multiple transactions over your life. One investor connection can change a realtor's life.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Kersten
  • Cypress, TX
Votes |
  • Cypress, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 20:52
Originally posted by @Roger Smart:

A smart agent will work you for that long. Especially if you show them that you are going to be making multiple transactions over your life. One investor connection can change a realtor's life.

Totally true Roger. Good point. 

User Stats

Votes
Sandra Gibson
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
  • Katy, TX
Replied Aug 29 2015, 21:21
Originally posted by @Jeremy Kersten:

I like natural gas cooking, heating and drying. Natural gas is a better use of energy, in the long run it will cost more to have all electricity. Small subdivsions do not allow propane units, which I would have to have.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Kersten
  • Cypress, TX
Votes |
  • Cypress, TX
Replied Aug 30 2015, 07:58
Originally posted by @Jeremy Kersten:

I like natural gas cooking, heating and drying. Natural gas is a better use of energy, in the long run it will cost more to have all electricity. Small subdivsions do not allow propane units, which I would have to have.

I agree. When I read your original post I read it as if you avoided homes with natural gas. My fault. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Alvi
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied Aug 31 2015, 21:46

My other question is, does a home inspection do a good job of letting a potential buyer know of most of the potential repairs or mandatory replacements? If you had two home inspections that came out ok, one is for a 75k house and the other for a 100k house...would you trust the home inspection? Or would you let fear and uncertainty cause you to buy the newer house? Thanks in advance.