Estimate values post-HCAD craziness this year? ISO crystal ball!

Estimate values post-HCAD craziness this year? ISO crystal ball!

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 0 votes

I'm a relatively new, small-time investor (a duplex "here", vacant acreage "there") who has lurked and learned here forever without posting...until now.  Target "niche" is small multifamily properties in very particular areas inside the Loop. Properties are buy and hold investments. I have a few and want a few more, sensing slight softening in prices.

Okay: the property taxes on my homestead (14 years in residence) increased *dramatically* this year. We protested, etc., but the plain fact is this year was "special" for all who live in the world according to Harris County Appraisal District. Sales comps or no, I still don't get the magic formula that appraised my home's value some 30% higher. Trying to crunch numbers on a new acquisition or decide what amount to increase rent? Make sure you have figures for the most recent tax year or get your feelings hurt (and your math wrong).

So...how sustainable is this new property-value "pattern"? The price of a barrel of oil is $[fill in the blank, but make it a low number]. Houston falls from no. 1 to no. 30 rank on XYZ Commercial Real Estate Market List. Folk are still moving to Houston. Residential rents are still strong. This Headline. That Headline. I'm oversimplifying to highlight the point of my almost-but-not-quite-rhetorical question: assuming no significant new development in the neighborhood, what can a small-time landlord expect come next tax year?

Question or rant?  I don't know. Having fun, though.

Phyllis

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Doug McLeodPro Member
Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 205 votes
10y

I can tell you on my deals I'm apply the tax rate to the ARV instead of using prior year taxes in my evaluations. The jumps are substantial. Protested all (via a service) - some came out well, others not so much.

But with the across the board cuts in appraisal values they made a few years ago,  I think they are playing some catch-up. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug McLeodPro Member
    Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 205 votes
    10y

    I can tell you on my deals I'm apply the tax rate to the ARV instead of using prior year taxes in my evaluations. The jumps are substantial. Protested all (via a service) - some came out well, others not so much.

    But with the across the board cuts in appraisal values they made a few years ago,  I think they are playing some catch-up. 

  • Professional · Cypress, TX · Member since 2015 · 309 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Hi @PG Henderford, I agree with @Doug McLeod. HCAD seems to be 'catching up'. Phyllis, if I can be of any assistance, feel free to let me know. I'm a Realtor/Insurance Agent.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I appreciate the responses. Haven't yet had much occasion to learn whether my ARV estimates tend to be accurate beyond proof that my rehabbed units pull market-rate rents, but that method certainly would make more sense.

    Always interested in meeting someone new, so expect a pm. 

    Thanks 

    Phyllis 

  • Eric TaitPro Member
    Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 314 posts · 146 votes
    10y

    Do you want to use my guy who protests property taxes? He takes it kind of personally and is willing to go to binding arbitration if need be, just text me.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks very much.  We've done relatively well protesting every year...until this past year, when values increased so dramatically across the entire neighborhood that we had to reset our sights. 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    How is this affecting your ability to find deals?  Even an unsophisticated homeowner knows the value that they are paying taxes on.  It used to be that HCAD values were quite low compared to real market value, but that is clearly no longer the case.  Just curious how this has affected investors in the Houston area.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Nathan Barnett, the concern is for cash flow. If you have a small $200k 4-unit multifamily and you're cash flowing $100/m on each and HCAD just increased your tax appraised value by 25%, your cash flow has been cut down to $70/m each unit.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi @Michael Le, thank you for your response.  I understand the concern and it has certainly affected my rental cash flow as well.  I was just curious to know if HCAD values are affecting negotiations on potential properties, as the seller will most likely know the taxable value of the property, thus possibly minimizing the margin for negotiation. 

    Perhaps this might need to be posted under a separate topic?  If so, let me know.  I'm new here, so learning the ropes.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    (Must learn how to do that "@ [NAME]" thing.)

    Beautifully put, @Michael Le. I would add that an inordinate number of the properties I happen to look up in Harris County Property Tax Records still lack data for current tax year and may not display payments for previous years. Depending on dates of ownership history, nearby construction and the other myriad factors that will confound the best estimates on property taxes for next year, availability of current/recent tax payment data is still spotty. Notwithstanding due diligence and realtors as resources, the absence of current/recent tax history can frustrate my attempts at casual analysis. For example, assume Dan bought 60 y.o., 3.8k sf duplex in, say, Midtown, in 2010. Maybe it was a foreclosure from previous sale in 2007. Dan lists property for [a lot, like, enough to raise the eyebrows]; listing is now 67 days on market with one $10k price reduction on day 30. No showings without contract. Photos (exterior only) and drive-by suggest newer roof, newer siding, central air. According to listing, property is fully occupied but stated rents are slightly below-market. Between 2010 and 2013, tax payments to Harris County were, oh, $3890, $4005, $4195, $4918. Tax data for 2015? Noticed, but final assessment/payment not available. Clumps of grand new townhomes are selling on the next block in each direction. I'm not as sophisticated as some, so don't mind admitting that any attempt to estimate HCAD values in this case would be folly for me; I'm curious to see end result for the tax year, even before the sale. 

    Or, consider this scenario. A year ago, perhaps less, Dan sold back half of the same (corner) lot to AnnUrthertownome, who/which built a 3-story, 3.8k sft townhouse that will list for amount equal to, or slightly greater than Dan's duplex. Now, YES, I *know* how to calculate with current assessed values ... but HCAD online record doesn't yet reflect the reduction in lot size. Options exist, I know. In the end, however, the gap in information can slow my initial offer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.