Votes
Jacob Ramsey
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
First Purchase advice

Jacob Ramsey
  • Austin, TX
Posted Mar 21 2016, 08:52

Right now I'm looking at several options for our first purchase. I like the idea of a multi-family property, but I'm not sure it makes sense given the location and uncertainty of how long we will be in Austin. I have access to a VA loan, and we both have sterling credit and plenty of money set aside for a down payment.

I work near 183 and 45, and my girlfriend goes to school at UT (1 more year) after which she has to work for 2 years as part of her scholarship.   So we will be in Austin for at least 3 more years, but are not sure how much longer after that.

I would like to get something somewhat close to my work so that I could bike daily (it doesn't have to be that close... I bike 16 miles from Mueller without too much problem), as it would save having to buy a car for her when she graduates.    

I'm tempted to just buy a condo as there are several near Jollyville / Mopac that are under $200k that would be less / month then we are paying now for rent.  However I really like the idea of house hacking to build wealth... I'm just not sure it makes sense right now.  It seems like there are plenty of multi-family properties in South Austin, but the commute is un-appealing.  Properties near where I work are extremely expensive and there seems to be a shortage of them.

Any advice?

User Stats

Votes
Leland Barrow
  • Investor
  • San Marcos, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Marcos, TX
Replied Mar 21 2016, 09:07

You don't need to use a va loan to buy a house. The advantage of the VA loan is the down payment or lack there of. It will be hard to find a property that is both a income generator and within biking distance of locations. Personally I wouldn't waste a VA loan on a condo. I would suggest renting until you decide to invest in real estate. A personal residence is not an asset it is a liability. There should be no rush to add to your liabilities. If you want to build passive income then I would maximize the VA loan. Buy the best fourplex you can get your hands on that gives the best return. You can live there for two years or less depending on your circumstances. After that you can FHA another fourplex for a low down payment. I think it is 3.5%. You can have seven income generating doors and once they are seasoned you will have a couple of assets to leverage for more property acquisition. The idea of using the VA loan is to maximize leverage.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Ramsey
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 21 2016, 09:29

Given that I have to live somewhere, and that a 15 year mortgage on a condo would be about the same as I'm paying now for rent... would it not make sense to buy one without the VA loan just to build equity? I realize it wouldn't be an investment property like a fourplex would be.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Upen Patel
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Replied Mar 21 2016, 09:48

@Jacob Ramsey Given that you are going to be in Austin for at least the next 3 yrs, it would make good sense to buy a 3-4 plex using FHA 3.5% down (Save your VA for a more expensive area). If the location is right, then you will not have an issues finding tenants. You will get to stay for free (or close to free) and then you rent your unit once you are ready to move.

The Federal Savings Bank Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kelby K.
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 21 2016, 21:03

I would definitely recommend a 3 or 4plex (and living in one unit) if possible as well. This is how I started my real estate career 4 years ago. After one year of owning the 4 plex we sold it and 1031 exchanged it into a larger apartment unit and have done it another time since. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Pereira
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 22 2016, 10:50

I wish that I had seen this advice when I used my VA loan on my first investment property (a duplex). Your VA can be used on a property up to $417k, and your best use of that given your circumstances is most likely a three or fourplex.

From my understanding the VA loan is a bit more difficult to use on condos and other non-standard properties, but more importantly why would you use it on something that doesn't provide much return on your investment? You can use the leftover benefit on a second property after living in the first one for a given period of time, but unless you pay off the original, you can only use whatever amount of the 417k wasn't used the first time. In other words, if you buy a $200k condo, you can only buy something else with zero down for $217k, which wouldn't cover most deals in Austin (at least not ones that the VA allows).

Either way, good luck and thank you for your service.

User Stats

Votes
Yoni Levin
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 22 2016, 15:20

Jacob,

Have you looked at what's on the market? Let's meet for coffee and we can look at what's out there. I have a lot open next week. 

Yoni