House Hacking and investing in Rental Apartments in Berlin!

5 Replies

Hi there!

I am currently on a one-year long "mini-retirement" traveling the world and plan on moving to Berlin sometime in 2019. I am learning as much as I can about real estate investing and house-hacking.

My plan: Investing in multi-tenant 2-3 bedroom apartments in Berlin, Germany. A 2-3 bedroom would be great if the layout would allow for the living room to be converted into a bedroom. My man and I would then sleep in the living room and the remaining rooms would be rented out to long-term tenants and through Airbnb. That'd be the ideal scenario. If not we'd shoot for a 3 bedroom apartment and would rent out 2 rooms while living in the other one.

I plan on getting started as soon as I am physically in Berlin (and qualify for a loan). This brings me to my questions.

- Does anyone on here have experience in investing in apartments in Berlin? If yes, I'd love to connect! If no, do you know anyone who does?

- I am thinking that house-hacking an apartment in Berlin would be the best way to get started or do you think a single family home would be a better option? What's your experience?

I'd love to connect with anyone who is house-hacking/running multi-tenant properties in Berlin or has plans to do something similar. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Big thanks to @Scott Trench and @Craig Curelop for inspiring me!

Much love from Taiwan,

Nina

Nina, Airbnb is illegal in Berlin is illegal and I think they’re serious about it. Personally, I wouldn’t make an investment and base my plan on something that’s illegal but that’s me.

I think your information may be a bit dated Mike. In May Berlin implemented a new law allowing owner-occupiers to Airbnb up to 49% of their apartment. Also, owners of second-home apartments may Airbnb those apartments for up to 90 days a year after registering with the city:

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/328146/

Originally posted by @Mike Lambert :

Nina, Airbnb is illegal in Berlin is illegal and I think they’re serious about it. Personally, I wouldn’t make an investment and base my plan on something that’s illegal but that’s me.

That's incorrect I am afraid. Airbnb is certainly not illegal in Berlin. Renting out space in ones primary residence (and more) is legal provided that one adheres to the law that recently passed. I can only kindly encourage you to read up on it if you are interested in learning more about it:

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/328146/

Thank you so much Account Closed for the link and information. It's also worth noting that "Zweckentfremdung" does not apply to

"die Berliner Hauptwohnung, in der der tatsächliche Lebensmittelpunkt begründet wird, durch die Verfügungsberechtigten oder die Nutzungsberechtigten zu anderen als Wohnzwecken mitbenutzt wird, insgesamt aber die Wohnnutzung überwiegt (über 50 vom Hundert der Fläche; bei Küche und Bad wird jeweils hälftige Nutzung unterstellt)."

From my understanding, one wouldn't need to register ones apartment/house if the above criteria are being met according to the law:

http://gesetze.berlin.de/jportal/?quelle=jlink&que...

I might have gotten that wrong though. That's how I understand it by reading through it though.