• Portugal
Votes |
Property Investment in Portugal

Thomas Youngman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Portugal
Posted Jan 8 2019, 17:57

Hi,

The purpose of this post is to connect with anyone interested/actively investing in the Portuguese Real Estate market. 

I am moving to Portugal in March 2019 and wanted to connect with fellow Property investors. There seems to be an interesting investment case for Portugal currently and by building a supportive network of investors we will be able to discuss opportunities and build our experience faster than if we go it alone

When I arrive in March I will be focusing on learning the market and seeing which strategies will work for me. 

Thanks

Thomas

User Stats

Votes
Chris Barrett
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Replied Aug 22 2023, 16:37

Ruis,

It's my understanding that all vacation rentals that are operated out of a single family residence require the AL license.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 23 2023, 05:24

@Mike Lambert @Rui Dias Costa,

Can you maybe share a high-level list of the proposed AL changes? The biggest ones I'm aware of include:

* Limit the availability of new AL licenses to only interior districts;
* Increase the tax rates for AL;
* Force a review of existing AL licenses in 2030;

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Rui Dias Costa
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Aug 23 2023, 09:22
Quote from @Chris Barrett:

Ruis,

It's my understanding that all vacation rentals that are operated out of a single family residence require the AL license.

It is my understanding that you can do STR has "Alojamento Local" or "Arrendamento Curta Duração". The framework is different though. From what have been explain to me there are advantages and disadvantages in both situations and they aren't exactly interchangeable.

Don't know much more than this. 

I do recommend you seek a professional (probably lawyer).

Regards

User Stats

Votes
Rui Dias Costa
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Aug 23 2023, 09:30
Quote from @Riaan Knoetze:

@Mike Lambert @Rui Dias Costa,

Can you maybe share a high-level list of the proposed AL changes? The biggest ones I'm aware of include:

* Limit the availability of new AL licenses to only interior districts;
* Increase the tax rates for AL;
* Force a review of existing AL licenses in 2030;

Don't know. Sorry.

Regards

User Stats

Votes
Chris Barrett
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Replied Aug 23 2023, 12:09

Based on the translation that would be short term rental (vacation rentals) and mid-term rentals (month at a time)?

User Stats

Votes
Rui Dias Costa
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Aug 25 2023, 09:39
Quote from @Chris Barrett:

Based on the translation that would be short term rental (vacation rentals) and mid-term rentals (month at a time)?

Hi,
I believe they have legal definitions and frameworks. Translation probably won’t give you the definition / information you need to form an opinion. 
Don’t know more than this. Sorry. Recommend that you speak to someone that actually does STR or is a professional. 
Regards

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 26 2023, 08:36

Hello.  
Im a real estate investor living in New York and am interested in networking and investing in Portuguese real estate.  Let’s connect.