Votes
Kilter L.
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Recommendation for tenant background/credit check

Kilter L.
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Dec 29 2016, 21:56
Hi investors, I am moving out from my owner-occupied SFH and I am ready to rent it out as my first rental property. I would like to know your favorite background/credit check service provider for screening tenants. Any advise, especially info on Utah local service providers, will be appreciated! Happy New Year! Li

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer L.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Dec 29 2016, 23:46

I used Cozy.co to do my tenant screening and it worked great.  It was also easy to transition my new tenants into making online payments through them.

One word of advice though: if your local court is searchable online, it is a good idea to search prospective tenants through them.  You can get a lot of information about people.  I had one prospective tenant that sued a local restaurant which led to them going out of business.  I had another one with judgments that were older and not showing up on the background check, but it was important information for me to have.

It is also very important to check references.  Make sure they are employed by whom they say they are employed.  Talk to their most recent landlord, and even more importantly, the landlord before the last one.  

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
William Hochstedler
  • Broker
  • Logan, UT
Votes |
  • Broker
  • Logan, UT
Replied Dec 30 2016, 06:31

Here is a link to BP's Ultimate Tenant Screening Guide

Cozy and SmartMove are very easy to set up and use.

We've found that the best indicators of how your tenants will perform is credit score and previous landlord references (particularly the one before the place they are moving out of).  Definitely call them.

Good luck!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Kilter L.
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Dec 31 2016, 14:25

Thank you Jennifer L. William Hochstedler ! I have posted my ads on cozy and I will for sure check cozy and smart move out for background check. William Hochstedler do you know if our local court here in Utah is searchable online as mentioned by Jennifer?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Sprunt
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • South Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • South Jordan, UT
Replied Dec 31 2016, 16:27

Yes, the court records are seachable, but you have to pay a monthly fee if you want to do it online. Othewise, you can go down to the courthouse and look them up for free. The online site is: 

https://www.utcourts.gov/xchange

User Stats

Votes
Rebecca Belnap
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lehi, UT
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lehi, UT
Replied Dec 31 2016, 17:35

ksl is the most searched local source.  It sends you to rentler which is free to list and also has a background check you can use if you like it.  

User Stats

Votes
Tommy F.
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Dec 31 2016, 17:53

Kilter L. I use USAA Smart Move

User Stats

Votes
Kilter L.
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jan 1 2017, 12:27

Thank you Matt Sprunt Rebecca Belnap and Tommy F.