• Investor
  • Namibia
Votes |
Whats your biggest Fear or challenge as a foreign investor

Richard J Reid
  • Investor
  • Namibia
Posted Jul 17 2020, 15:10

I wanted to ask fellow foreign investors what there biggest fear or challenge is trying to get into the property market in USA.

User Stats

Votes
Matt B.
  • Investor
  • Chicago
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago
Replied Jul 26 2020, 02:36
Though I'm not a foreigner in the US, I know the people I work with are more or less afraid of the "unknown"

People tend to invest locally because they know it, they are comfortable with it, and they are physically present.

User Stats

Votes
Ari Hadar
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Dec 2 2020, 05:32
Originally posted by @Richard J Reid:

I wanted to ask fellow foreign investors what there biggest fear or challenge is trying to get into the property market in USA.

The biggest fear is to get scammed because do not know the market. Lack of good loans also sucks. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Richard J Reid
  • Investor
  • Namibia
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Namibia
Replied Dec 2 2020, 05:55
Originally posted by @Ari Hadar:
Originally posted by @Richard J Reid:

The biggest fear is to get scammed because do not know the market. Lack of good loans also sucks. 

Hi Ari

Grow a good network, ask for references, and do your due diligence, I have invested since 2013 and never even visited any of my properties but I have a great team. 

As for finance there is also a lot of great options out there for private finance and owner finance just got to look around.

Reach out if you  need any advice :-)

Richard

User Stats

Votes
Enrico Angella
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rome Italy
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rome Italy
Replied Jan 6 2021, 17:21

@Richard J Reid

It’s a slightly old post, but I really liked the question you asked

The biggest challenge for me is definitely finding financing that isn’t over-priced and that makes sense.

User Stats

Votes
Shai Flax
  • North Richland Hills, TX
Votes |
  • North Richland Hills, TX
Replied Jan 10 2021, 05:26

I think the lack of knowledge of local markets.

I'm investing in Pittsburgh PA and looking to start investing in a new market and the fact that I have no knowledge about the areas, culture, transportation schools etc is difficult. Of course, I can study all of those (Just like I did in Pittsburgh) but it take some time...

For example, the way the taxes works in the USA is not like in my country so I had to learn it somehow. You don't know what you don't know- until you do.

Having that said- I think it's the best way for me to invest and I'm happy for this decision!

User Stats

Votes
Marty Neville
  • Investor
  • New Zealand and Australia
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Zealand and Australia
Replied Jan 29 2021, 10:22

Biggest challenge for me is finding lenders for the cash out refinance. Any suggestions would be great

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 14 2021, 07:16

We work with foreign investors, at the moment, not with Australians, but in the next few months, we will.