Australian wanting to invest in the US

Australian wanting to invest in the US

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi all,

I've got investment properties in Australia but am wanting to enter the US market!

Can anyone recommend some good contacts that can assist with purchasing and setting up?

2Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Hadar OrkibiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
5y

@Gloria Wang, search for Reed Goossens. He is an Ausi based in LA with a great podcast and book about investing in the US.

I'm base in NZ and have been investing in the US for 5 years, but been in RE for nearly 20 years.

They are few moving parts to consider. One of them is how do you want to invest, actively or passively?

If you can't borrow money in the US, then investing passively or doing a JV may be a good start.

First, I would suggest is to get yourself educated. You are at the right place!

Talke to @Rebecca Moore, she is also in Australia looking to invest in the US!.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper · Anna-TX · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    Hi @Gloria Wang, 

    Do you have a specific State or area you want to invest in (SFH, Multi-family, etc)?

    I invest in Texas (I am out of the US too). If you want some contacts in Texas I will be glad to send them to you.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Happy to assist you in Texas.  What kind of property do you want to buy.  Do you plan to buy with cash or financing.  Financing can be tough, but not impossible.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Michal Liviatan Carpenter   Let's connect.  Are you financing non-owner occupied investment properties?   Can you give us an idea of where you are lending now and what types of terms in regards to down payment and rate?

  • Investor · Ontario · Member since 2015 · 486 posts · 250 votes
    5y

    Hi @Gloria Wang 

    I know of a lawyer that has been helping Foreign Nationals set up entities to purchase properties for over 15 years. I also know a few lenders that lend to foreign nationals. Happy to help.

  • Investor · New Zealand and Australia · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    Hi Gloria,

    There’s an excellent post in this section from an Australian that breaks down the sequence of events to invest remotely.


    I invest in the US via New Zealand and would be happy to explain how I go about it.


    Feel free to reach out as there’s a bit to unpack.

  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    5y

    @Gloria Wang, search for Reed Goossens. He is an Ausi based in LA with a great podcast and book about investing in the US.

    I'm base in NZ and have been investing in the US for 5 years, but been in RE for nearly 20 years.

    They are few moving parts to consider. One of them is how do you want to invest, actively or passively?

    If you can't borrow money in the US, then investing passively or doing a JV may be a good start.

    First, I would suggest is to get yourself educated. You are at the right place!

    Talke to @Rebecca Moore, she is also in Australia looking to invest in the US!.

  • Banker · Australia · Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    4y

    Hi All! 

    Me and a couple of friends in Australia are trying to enter into the US market - namely, focusing on rental properties in Ohio and Illinois to start. As noted in many of these forums, access to finance is quite costly either with high downpayment or interest rate requirements. 

    One of my teammates has a de facto partner (US citizen) who lives in Cleveland and is keen to come onboard. Is there any way to structure the LLC with her part of the group to access cheaper financing?

  • Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Hi @Gloria Wang, Wlcome!

    I think you should start by asking yourself what are your investments goals. Are you looking to flip? Maybe buy an SFR or an MF as a rental property? Would you like to BRRRR? After knowing that it will be easier to find a market that can support your goal. I have a list of criterias for choosing a market if you would like me to send it to you...

    After that you can start finding your agent, contractor, PM, stc.

    If you need any help- feel free to reach out.

    Good luck!

  • Property Manager · Rochester, NY · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Gloria Wang

    Im in Rochester, NY. Im a property manager, realtor (not a fancy one) and have a contracting company. I have flipped countless amounts of properties.

    If you need anything, I am happy to help :)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 63 votes
    4y

    @Gloria Wang. It's a good market, indeed. I'm actually married to an Australian, and we have an investment property there, about to invest in more, via syndications thru a SMSF. For the US, if you want to go the easy route (which is what we did, as we are currently based in Dubai), you might want to consider syndications. I had every intention of buying individual properties, but then someone turned me onto syndications. Fast forward a year and a half, and we are just about to close on our rental in Oregon so we can invest in 4 more syndications. The returns are similar, if not better, than actively investing, tax advantages same, if not better, as well. Plus you can cover top growth markets without having to deal with tenants, mortgages, repairs, sourcing, & selling. On most deals you need to be accredited, but not all. And on most deals you need an initial $50k investment. I love them so much I took 3 pretty tough exams to become SEC registered to raise capital for them. 

    There are cpas who can help you set up an LLC in the state you want to invest in, and they will also set you up with an ITIN, as well as do your tax returns for you. You will also need a US-based bank account.

    On a side note, had a great chat with the people at wealthi.com.au this week, if you're after more properties in Oz. They do all of the leg work for you, and I have no affiliation with them, was just really impressed. There are also a few really good Australian syndication companies I've spoken with this week (and will invest with), but you need to be accredited for those private equity deals, fyi. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    @Gloria Wang where are you looking to purchase at and what kind of properties are you looking for? I have a few contacts. Let’s connect!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.