Your experience with paid Seminars?

16 Replies

Hey Seattle and Puget Sound!

What's your experience with attending paid seminars/forums like this?

http://mmseattleforum.com/

Not necessarily a guru style workshop. Seems to be real industry professionals, with a reasonable price tag (albeit more than I have ever spent on RE education before, I'm used to buying books, or dinners for people I want to talk with instead of courses)

So, do you think the above linked is worth the cost? 

What type of networking have you done at these events, and how has it paid off?

What other events are coming up that you are attending?

Cheers, and wishing you successful investing!

Don't do it. We have local REI meetups in Las Vegas for $20 and it includes dinner, much more intimate, and you can meet some nice, honest BP users there.

I'm sure you could find something similar in Seattle or someone from BP might even put one on.

Hi @Dino Diaz , I go to the one @Phillip Dwyer puts on in Henderson. I hear there's one in proper Las Vegas put on by Omar Merced (wouldn't let me tag him).

Ah, thank you! Outback has a huge network. You can look them up if you want to attended their monthly meeting this evening.

Thanks for the responses. I should have clarified that I already attend the BP meetup in Seattle, which is very fruitful and well priced. Free 99 :D

With the seminar you posted, it seems like you can get a different perspective than what most BPers are doing.

i have been to this a few years ago in Tacoma for free. It's a big picture type of seminar. Unless you are one of the big players it is not very useful, you may get a feel of the direction of general market that is about it. They actually host online seminars similar to this for free.  I just attended one yesterday.

Harrison, thanks for the insight. Can you link us?

I have it in my yahoo email. I tried to copy it but didn't work.

As with most on BP, I'm againts the Guru courses and seminars; however my other industry is Web Hosting / IT - and I often pay just as must (or more) to attend an industry event where I can get direct access to the larger players in the industry all in the same place at the same time. It has thereby allowed me to make connections and partnerships that I certainly would not have otherwise obtained. For that reason, I'm not 100% oppossed to paying for a conference and getting on a plain to attend. And I always come back with one or two nuggets of information or action items that when implemented more than pays for the event cost and travel time.

J.T.

@Jan Wanot

I'm also against any Guru courses or seminars - you would be far better off taking that money and learning through education/trial and error with a real transaction or bringing a deal to an experienced investor and offering them half to take you through the entire process. The end result would be the same, you learn a lot more from doing an actual deal than paying gurus to pump up your self confidence. 

-Christopher

try this

http://event.on24.com/r.htm?e=1285559&s=1&k=FE3F9902F5A1C3ABFA0FBD4A8FBE60A5

hope it works

It's all individually dependent if these paid seminars are for you or not. What is the best way that you lean? 

Are you someone who can lock yourself in a room and consume copious amounts of knowledge from books? Do you soak up everything you watch on YouTube or listen on a podcast? Some people prefer classroom-style courses where they lock in and visually are presented with information person-to-person. 

I try to do all. And this weekend I'm paying ~150 for a three-day seminar. I'm sure I can learn all of the same information from books/podcasts, but any way I can drill all of this information in my head in a diversified way, I figure it has a better chance of sticking. 

There is a balance between education and action.  The more action you can take with the least amount of risk is usually the better education.  Anything in this business can be learned (not battle tested) within 3 months time for very very little money if you read and search the right stuff.  Implementing and executing on that information is a different story.  

I'd say it's very well worth the money, but it won't be if your real estate aptitude is low as with most deal making operators on internet sites, it's just a fact, if you're a small deal maker, small investor strategist you're probably not prepared to take in all that can be had. Like being in the 9th grade and attending a graduate class at a university, they just aren't ready.

But, if you are basically "formally" educated in real estate, finance, with a dash of business law, then this type of seminar would be very good I'm sure. And, if you aspire to be a professional, these types of seminars is where you begin, not everything would be that advanced. It's a great place to ask questions too if you missed a point.

Remember, birds of a feather flock together, looks like this event is with eagles, not crows.

No disrespect intended at all fellow BPer's, crows can do just fine but they just don't fly at the altitude of the eagle. It's the vultures I can't stand. 

You can read the agenda, if you have an idea of what the topic covers you're probably ready to attend. There is a crossover between multifamily and single family, each market influences the other, trends apply to each, this type of event should open some eyes as to community trends, what the competition really is, capital and investor requirements, management concerns and most likely compliance areas. 

I've always found such events to be educational and informative along with a great networking opportunity with key players and professionals. 

Now these folks don't fill the entire RE industry but they do influence it, you can learn how to develop your local niche operations that fill the gaps left and often, these players can help you do that.

This is similar to NAHRO events which I was a part of for years at the national level, a very good organization! Good luck :)

This is for A class folks. Capital preservation less than 5% returns.

These are the guys with w2 jobs in RE and not investors.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here