• Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle
Votes |
ROI/advice on adding an ADU to primary residence

T. Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle
Posted Jan 27 2019, 19:35

We have a larger property and are considering adding a detached accessory dwelling unit to the back of the property for rental income. First, would love to know if anyone else has done this and any advice you'd give, and secondly what you all think about my high level calculations:

- $80k to build (likely thru HELOC/refi) - Is this estimate in the right ballpark for a small studio/loft ADU?

- Rent out for $1200/month - Studios in this area are renting for $1500-1800/month but these are in big complexes with amenities. I'm not sure if we should consider charging more than this average since the ADU location is unique and literally in the middle of a forest? I'm using $1200/month just to be safe.

-Estimated monthly cash flow after mortgage, expenses, etc would be around $600/month

- This is what the property looks like, the ADU would be "in the woods". The site is not easily accessible by machines and is over 100 feet from the primary house. We're hoping to somehow tap into our existing water and electric, but we'd have to add septic or do composting.

Assuming we can get the permits, this seems like a no brainer to me. Does anyone know of any companies that would be experienced to build this type of structure? We were thinking of companies that make cabins since they'd be more familiar with sites that are harder to access.

Thoughts?

Loading replies...