Skip to content
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews

User Stats

Votes
Sherry Riesner
  • Lakewood, WA
Votes |
looking for mentor/coach recs for non-performing notes - Scott Carson or other??

Sherry Riesner
  • Lakewood, WA
Posted Apr 21 2014, 17:20

Hello - I am looking for a mentor for purchasing non-performing 1st mortgages.

Eddie Speed's NoteSchool 3 day course was very helpful for baseline knowledge and strategies, but their mentoring program is very pricey. So I was hoping for another option(s) where the price of entry is more affordable.

Has anyone done or heard good/bad things about Scott Carson's mentoring/coaching program?

Dave Van Horn is probably a great option for Nonperforming 2nds but we are looking for 1sts... Thanks very much.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Apr 21 2014, 23:00

@Sherry Riesner - @Dave Van Horn has branched into getting NPN in first position, so you should consider PPR as a possibility. I spoke with him last month saying I saw one of his notes go to sheriff sale and the property was taken back by PPR, and it was the first time I had seen one that was in first position; he then explained that this was now part of their business.

User Stats

Votes
Alberto Artasanchez
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Manalapan, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Manalapan, NJ
Replied Dec 18 2014, 08:41

@Sherry Riesner 

I have heard @Dave Van Horn @Scott Carson and Eddie Speed speak many times. They are all incredibly knowledgeable in the topic of note investing. As @Steve Babiak mentions, Dave is now also doing first mortgages as well as seconds.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Dec 18 2014, 19:34

PPR is discontinuing their mentoring program at the end of this year with a 6 month run off.  

I signed up for Note School and have been happy with the results we have gotten so far.

Have seen Scott Carson speak and he is a good speaker but cannot comment on the details of his program because I am not enrolled. 

Feel free to PM me, if I can answer any questions off line I am happy to take a phone call.

User Stats

Votes
Ian Barnes
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jan 3 2015, 08:04

Take a look at keyhole academy, they teach both 1st and 2nd liens, and Sherman has been doing non performing notes longer than anyone else I know.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Homan
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 7 2016, 08:33

I just enrolled for NoteSchool. I'm working my way through the online videos and will be attending a 3 day live seminar at the end of the month.

This post looks a little old. Does anybody here have anything new to add to what has already been said here?

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Jul 9 2016, 18:36

Most of the people with experience in the industry have moved away from non performing notes.

User Stats

Votes
George Frye
  • Investor
  • Albany, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albany, GA
Replied Jul 11 2016, 11:38

@Bob E so where are experienced investors going. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Jul 12 2016, 09:27

@George Frye a few years ago they were buying performing notes.  Now it seems more like they are  directly sourcing performing notes via direct mail.  Personally we are either buying performing notes or buying, rehabbing and selling with owner financing to create our own notes.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Nicholson
  • Seneca, SC
Votes |
  • Seneca, SC
Replied Jul 12 2016, 09:42

@Bob Note buying is not something that I am very familiar with. Is this something that you need to have lots of cash to get into?

@Bob E.undefined

User Stats

Votes
Jay Raught
  • Investor
  • Newark, DE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newark, DE
Replied Jul 12 2016, 12:11

@Michael Nicholson cash helps but educate yourself first, there is so much work to be done after you purchase the note.. A big part of it is managing the servicer and staying on top of them to make sure the correct documents are where they need to be, etc etc.  Each note has its own story to tell and right now I have 4 different stories going on!!!! I will also add that Scott Carson is a great resource for note education, one of the reasons I am where I am has to do with him!!!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Nicholson
  • Seneca, SC
Votes |
  • Seneca, SC
Replied Jul 12 2016, 12:15

Thanks for the response @Jay Raught

User Stats

Votes
Scott Carson
  • Note Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Note Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 12 2016, 12:24

@Adam Homan I'm buying tons of NPN's and non performing CFD's that we are picking up from banks and hedge funds! There is still lots of deals out there besides the traditional exchanges.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Jay Raught
  • Investor
  • Newark, DE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newark, DE
Replied Jul 12 2016, 12:28

@Adam Homan I will echo what Scott said. I recently picked up 4 CFD, one is going to be a rental and the other one; we are working on a cash for keys so we can flip.

User Stats

Votes
George Frye
  • Investor
  • Albany, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Albany, GA
Replied Jul 12 2016, 15:53

@Bob E.  are you finding good yields on your performing notes. Seems like the note game is turned upside down. I am finding some low priced non performing notes  however the price doesnt seem to equate in returns.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Raught
  • Investor
  • Newark, DE
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newark, DE
Replied Jul 12 2016, 16:22

Low priced doesn't mean it is good, you have to do the research before you make the buy. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Jul 12 2016, 17:00

@George Frye  People doing direct mail to source notes are buying with enough discount to bring the yield up to 18%.  That does not include the cost of their marketing or due diligence.

For brokers will buy those same notes at 14% and then sell retail for 10-12%.

we are getting 15-25% buying the property and reselling with financing but we have a very efficient rehab team and a that does not include all the costs of our overhead.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Turner
  • Investor
  • Saint Bruno De Montarville, Québec
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Saint Bruno De Montarville, Québec
Replied Jul 13 2016, 07:06

@Bob E. I've been around since 2010 buying non performing and I have yet to see it slow down. If anything prices have crept up but I'm still getting fantastic returns on everything I buy. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob E.
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Jul 13 2016, 09:09

@Nathan Turner  Glad you are still able to find deals.  Where are you buying your NP notes from?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Carson
  • Note Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Note Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 13 2016, 09:45

@Bob E. I'm sure @Nathan Turner would tell you that there are a ton of residential hedge funds and servicing companies who are moving assets.   We are finding a ton building new relationships and continuing to mine our banking relationships throughout the year.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Luis
  • Lender
  • Beverly Hills, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Beverly Hills, CA
Replied Oct 14 2017, 22:02

As far as mentorship goes, I can highly recommend @Scott Carson. I have looked at the Eddie Speed program and others, but Scott's program is hands down the best! I suggest anyone wanting to enter the notes business should learn from people who are or who have been active note investors with experience. I've read a lot of posts out there from members who discourage others from investing in notes. I've found this to be further from the truth. The number one thing you have to know in this niche market is not to let your fears get in the way of succeeding. Dive-in! 

User Stats

Votes
Linda Hastings
Pro Member
  • Stockdale, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Stockdale, TX
Replied Aug 8 2019, 18:46

If you are reading this thread, you may also want to read this one: