Has Anyone Taken a Course by Sandra Edmond on Tax Liens

31 Replies

Hi BP Community,

Although there is so much info on the BP website, I was think that taking a course from someone who is actually doing lien investing would be a great idea so that I can move much quicker in investing quicker.  I have taken courses before and know that they give you info but not enough to make good investments.  To make the good investments you have to pay extra for coaching.

I have been watching Sandra Edmond (realestate investor and course presenter) and she seems to be good at what she is doing.  She has a course coming up in Fort Lauderdale soon.  I am thinking of signing up but before I do, I would like to know if any of the BP community have tried her courses and if so, were they able to actually able to earn profits from the information provided in her course?

Thanks!!!!

Hi Lisa!  I am interested in taking Sandra Edmond's course and as I was trying to find more information about the course, I came across your inquiry.  Did you take her course?  How was it?  Would you mind sharing any insights?  

@K Soto  

No I didn't end up taking her course.  It seems too costly.  There are so many really great experts on BP that are more than willing to help.  Let me know if you do take the course and if so, if you were successful financially.

Hi Everyone,

I am a Full Time "In the Trench Investor" I took Sandra's Course.

Feel free to call me....[TELEPHONE NUMBER REMOVED BY MOD]. I am not on the computer a lot.

Mostly on the road doing deal's.

Rebecca Smith

I took this course and was amazed with the detail Sandra goes over. She is incredibly knowledgeable and shares all the tricks. the class is very detailed walking you through from the beginning to the end of the sale and what to do after the sale. I would highly recommend this course to others.

@Frank Lazcos  thanks so much for your feedback on the course.  Can I ask if you actually made any money from what you learned in the course?  

Hi Lisa,

I haven't taken the course. I have taken similar courses in the past and I do invest in tax liens and deeds and have made profits. What are your investment goals with tax lien investing? And where are you trying to invest? Each state is different.

@Ronnie Wilson     Since the property prices have been increasing here in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area over the last couple of years (mainly due to the Hedge Funds I am told), I thought I would look into the tax lien certificate investments.  From what I have been told, the interest rate is 18% and in 98% of tax lien certificates investments, investors get their money back with the 18% interest.  I am sure that there are risks and I was thinking of taking the Sandra Edmonds course to find out what the risks are, specifically in the Broward County area.

If anyone has info to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

@Lisa Mauritis  I have the results from last year's Broward County tax lien auction in a spreadsheet.  The average interest rate for all the tax liens that were bid on was only 0.72%.  That's right, interest of less than 1% annually!

There were 27,576 liens that were purchased.  Of those, only 204 were purchased with 18% interest rate. Of the 204 with 18% interest - 10 of them were classified by the county as "Rivers and Lakes, Submerged Lands".  Yes - swamp land in Florida.

Of the 204 that earned 18%, the average lien amount was only $298.18.  It would take a lot of liens to make a good return.

The Average lien amount overall was $3,817.54 and the Median lien amount was $1,772.11.  Median means that half the liens had higher amounts and half had lower amounts.

From the counties I follow in Florida (all use online auctions), it is typical that the average rate is below 1% overall.  Maybe the counties with live, in-person bidding get higher rates since fewer investors participate in those auctions.

Hey Jerry!

I love real data. I've also done a little bit of research on what tax liens are, and am interested. But you seem to have great info.

Now a 0.72% return in 30 days would be a pretty good annualized number (assuming you could invest in tax liens back to back over time, which might not be possible).

What states provide better ROI on tax liens (i.e. where are you investing these days)?

@Bryan Menell Unfortunately that 0.72% IS the annual return.  You would divide that by 12 to get the monthly accrual amount.  Now the upside to Florida tax liens is that they have a minimum Penalty Rate of 5%.  So even if you won a lien with only 0.25% annual rate, you will get at least 5% when the owner redeems.  That's why so many liens go down to 0.25%.  The investors know that 95%-98% of the owners will redeem and the investor gets at least 5%.  

This year I did a lot in Arizona ( a couple of weeks ago) and I have liens in rates that range from 3% up to 16%.  Take a look at my blog here on BP through the link in the signature line below.  I have descriptions and even links to a video where I won liens in one AZ auction where I landed 5 or 6 liens and all at 16% (highest rate in AZ).  All those were vacant residential parcels so I'm not getting the high rates on homes.  Home liens in decent areas average 3%-5% in general.

@Lisa Mauritis  

I dont know if she is creditable or not, but i as well glanced at her site, there's very good information..

However it is way over priced, like i tell alot of people that want to get into liens, all the info you'll every need to know is on the internet. And even more in depth on the county website. They are not as complicated as you may think, there are very strait forward. Google it, take a few days next week and study at night right down questions that confuse you, and call the county in the morning and clarify them. Save your self that money. The bigger picture is these informational website, and courses all claim to have "THE BIG SECRET" but its such a secret why and how are you willing to give that secret away to anyone who is willing to pay for it, and after so long that big secret isnt a secret if everyones knows the secret....

Competition is your only enemy, we buy liens in Florida, Indiana, Texas and California..And now a days so many people go to these auctions, and over bid everything.  Once you figure out your strategy, if you want to buy to actually flip the property or if you dont intend on keeping the property and you return is all you want, you'll be fine. You curiosity will make everything else fall in line, just dont waste your money on something you can learn for free, if you come to Indiana, you can buy 10-15 properties from the tax sale for what you would pay in the course....

Good Luck

Sandra is the real deal. Just thought I'd share.

@Jerry K.  thanks so much for the great info.  Do you have more info on the 'over the counter' tax lien certificates for Broward county?  For example, since there is no bidding, will the interest rate be 18%?  Also, I understand that the over the counter tax liens are what is left over from the auction.  Do you happen to know what percentage of the 'over the counter' tax liens are swamp land?

Thanks in advance for your great info.

@Jason Farmer thanks for the encouragement to save the money to keep for my investments!!!

@Lisa Mauritis

I just looked up the Broward county website where you can purchase the OTC liens.  Yes you will get 18% for the OTC liens.  But be careful.  These liens have not been purchased by investors in the auctions and there is probably a reason. 

The website lets you download the list of OTC liens available, but that list does not give the Property Use description, so I can't see how the underlying properties are classified.  

You can pull the list of the Account Numbers and then look through each one on the county assessor website to see what the Use type is, but there are 678 OTC liens in the list.

The OTC website is www[dot]Broward[dot]lienexpress[dot]net

Originally posted by @Jason Farmer:

@Lisa Mauritis  

I dont know if she is creditable or not, but i as well glanced at her site, there's very good information..

However it is way over priced, like i tell alot of people that want to get into liens, all the info you'll every need to know is on the internet. And even more in depth on the county website. They are not as complicated as you may think, there are very strait forward. Google it, take a few days next week and study at night right down questions that confuse you, and call the county in the morning and clarify them. Save your self that money. The bigger picture is these informational website, and courses all claim to have "THE BIG SECRET" but its such a secret why and how are you willing to give that secret away to anyone who is willing to pay for it, and after so long that big secret isnt a secret if everyones knows the secret....

Competition is your only enemy, we buy liens in Florida, Indiana, Texas and California..And now a days so many people go to these auctions, and over bid everything.  Once you figure out your strategy, if you want to buy to actually flip the property or if you dont intend on keeping the property and you return is all you want, you'll be fine. You curiosity will make everything else fall in line, just dont waste your money on something you can learn for free, if you come to Indiana, you can buy 10-15 properties from the tax sale for what you would pay in the course....

Good Luck

CA doesn't have tax liens, only tax deeds, with no redemption rights.  I consider that an entirely different strategy from tax liens since the deal always involves figuring out how to profit as the owner of the real property.  Never any interest or redemption fees to count count on.

Agreed that there is plenty of useful and accurate info already out there on the internet and from the county websites on the rules/regs of tax sales (both liens and deeds).  

Has anyone on here ever ended up with the property?

buy in a state that has tax deeds rather than liens, and you will ALWAYS get the property!

The advantage of doing a course is that they can give you a good overview. Sure you can ask questions and find out info yourself, but first you have to know what questions you want to ask.....?

Once upon a time you could maybe buy a book to give you the same generic overview for a fraction of the price of a course. Unfortunately I don't know of any that are really up to date, particularly in the digital era (online auctions etc). Maybe just look on Amazon, get something to give you a basic grounding, then start asking specific questions in the county you want to participate in.....

I have done some courses (not this one), and although I have never made money directly from any of them, I find they can help give you the enthusiasm and ideas to help sort out your own direction.....which then does make you money!

Good luck!

That can't be possible. People can pay the taxes and the penalties before the required time frame.

of course they can. And if they don't, in a deed state, the county has the right to sell the property to recover the debt. Sort of like a foreclosed lien. Every state has different rules / procedures, but in some, once a property is sold at a tax deed sale, that is it. Even in states where there is a redemption period after the deed is sold, this rarely happens, because if the previous owner didnt have the money to pay the taxes before the sale, they are even less likely to have it after, with all the additional costs....

If there is (for example) a $1,300 tax lien on a $150,000 property, the owner will typically find a way to pay the tax plus penalties and interest before the redemption period is up. Like almost always.

I was asking if anyone here had ever made it as far as foreclosure, and ended up owning the property because I've asked a bunch of people and haven't yet found anyone.

@k. 

Kristine Marie Poe

We win the property all the time in Indiana, let me be clear its not the safest place to invest in liens for an outsider, but we've been doing it there for a while, other states, we either get the property, after the redemption, or we get a hold of the owner and buy them out. These properties are not for everybody, they are usually pretty bad and have been neglected sometimes 5 yrs, with squatters, and animal feces. You have to really know what your doing, but we end up with them. Id say those auctions are starting to become a show and properties are being bid up way too high by unexpereiced investors, who watch too much HGTV...

Disclosure: Past student

Sandra's course was great and I even bought something in Seminole county on the 2nd day of the course, flipped it to another tax deed investor as is and made about $15k in less than 2 weeks. I also bought a lot in Cape Coral for $15k that I'm holding on to and is worth about $30k right now. My good friend has bought about 5 properties in Broward county after taking Sandra's class. She also is always there for you even after the course, I 100% recommend it!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.