Please help $41,000 paid to a guru company to be refunded !

459 Replies

Debbie, try here DUPAGE COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION or call them at 630-653-7779. Ask for a referral, and tell them what language you are most comfortable speaking. They will at least get you a free consultation with a lawyer

Please help Debbie get this letter together,  The Credit card company just needs her letter in their file so they will have documentation as to why they are reversing the charges bck to the GURU company.  Give debbie some sentances to include in the letter.  The Guru company beat on Debbie verbally for hours telling her how to Scam the credit card company.  She has no money, The credit card company  should also be worried that if Debbie can't pay the bill, they will get stuck with the bill.  if Debbie can not pay the bill why should the credit card company have to pay the bill??   It is to their advantage to reverse the charges.  Give Debbie some language, and points to include in the letter.  

Whatever she writes should be OK.  She does not have to write a masterpiece,  She does not have to write a perfect letter.  The credit card company just needs some bare bones to have in their file so they have documentation for reversing the charges.  Lets help her get the letter out today!!  Whatever she writes will be OK.

BG

Debbie include some of Jennifer"s point in your letter (see below)
Originally posted by @Jennifer T. :

I would suggest both over the phone and then also send an overnighted letter to each credit card company requesting the specific disputes to be placed and why.  What you need to show to the CC companies for the dispute is where Guru BREACHED the agreement.  What did they specifically not provide you with that you paid for.

They sent you to the wrong address in the middle of a snowstorm???

Originally posted by @Debbie Lee :

posted by @Barbara Goodman

Debbie we need to know how the $41,000 is billed on your credit cards

How did the Guru send you your Money. Is it a deduction on your credit card or a check??
Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debbie  HAVE YOU PAID THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY THESE BILLS OR DO YOU OWE THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY THIS MONEY AS BILLED BELOW???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have paid all these below amounts through credit cards

credit card#1  $1,997 ( from my existing card a. ) paid on Jan 28

credit card      $ 4,500 ( from my existing card a. ) paid on Feb 08

credit card #3  $ 10,000 ( from a new opened credit card ) paid on  Feb 25

credit card #4  $9,900 ( from raise credit limit of existing card ) paid on Feb 25

credit card#5  $14,500 ( from a new opened credit card ) paid on Feb 24

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEBBIE IS THE $14,500 BILL THE ONE THE GURU COMANY GAVE YOU A CREDIT ON????

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN YOU SAY "PAID"  DOES THAT MEAN THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY BILLED YOU AND YOU SENT THEM A CHECK AND PAID THEM???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAVE you called a local Law school to see if a student there a law student can help you without charge???  Does a law school have a clinic to help people???

BG

Are there any Community neighborhood activists in your area that can assist you?  People that your community can call upon for assistance when they re having difficulty with any of our legal systems.

if there are community people just tie into them and let them help you with this letter.  Remember the first paragraph, before you go into details should be what you want. like

"i want the charges for this GURU company disputed and taken off my bill"   Write that Before you tell them anything and say the same thing in the last sentence of your letter. as

"Please assist me by taking these disputed charges off my bill as I was not given what I was promised and I was over charged and taken advantage of and pushed into extending my credit card limits and I have no money to pay these bills, and have no way of getting this money.

bg

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Bill G.

I know you did not read the thread but the reason she has the 41k is because the company coached her on how to raise her CC limits then put the 41k on those cards at least a good portion on those cards.. very common approach in the guru game

LOL, you're right, unfair trade practices and she still needs the same advice, get an attorney! :)

I did not realize it is legal for a company to encourage you to raise your CC limits so you can pay them. That sounds so improper to me.

Originally posted by @Barbara G. :
Debbie include some of Jennifer"s point in your letter (see below)
Originally posted by @Jennifer Tornus:

I would suggest both over the phone and then also send an overnighted letter to each credit card company requesting the specific disputes to be placed and why.  What you need to show to the CC companies for the dispute is where Guru BREACHED the agreement.  What did they specifically not provide you with that you paid for.

They sent you to the wrong address in the middle of a snowstorm???

Yes, no doubt !!! The dilemma caused me half day late to the 40K bootcamp, and I also had to wait for 6 days for my consultant to find time to talk to me. with the email ending in the end " please understand I am a single dad, I run business, please do not text me day and night?"  

Originally posted by @Barbara G. :
Originally posted by @Debbie Lee:

posted by Barbara G.

Debbie we need to know how the $41,000 is billed on your credit cards

How did the Guru send you your Money. Is it a deduction on your credit card or a check??
Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debbie  HAVE YOU PAID THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY THESE BILLS OR DO YOU OWE THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY THIS MONEY AS BILLED BELOW???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have paid all these below amounts through credit cards

credit card#1  $1,997 ( from my existing card a. ) paid on Jan 28

credit card      $ 4,500 ( from my existing card a. ) paid on Feb 08

credit card #3  $ 10,000 ( from a new opened credit card ) paid on  Feb 25

credit card #4  $9,900 ( from raise credit limit of existing card ) paid on Feb 25

credit card#5  $14,500 ( from a new opened credit card ) paid on Feb 24

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEBBIE IS THE $14,500 BILL THE ONE THE GURU COMANY GAVE YOU A CREDIT ON???? YES,  and is the one transaction refunded so far.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN YOU SAY "PAID"  DOES THAT MEAN THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY BILLED YOU AND YOU SENT THEM A CHECK AND PAID THEM??? No, I gave them the card numbers and charge to my cards straight the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAVE you called a local Law school to see if a student there a law student can help you without charge???  Does a law school have a clinic to help people??? I will do all suggested mediums first i.e.: filing for dispute, complaint letter to state general, and complaint to BBB today , then focus on searching /talking to attorney like Joe just mentioned 

Originally posted by @Joe Cummings :

Debbie, try here DUPAGE COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION or call them at 630-653-7779. Ask for a referral, and tell them what language you are most comfortable speaking. They will at least get you a free consultation with a lawyer

Excellent advise, I will do that ! appreciate locating the numbers for me 

Originally posted by Account Closed:

I did not realize it is legal for a company to encourage you to raise your CC limits so you can pay them. That sounds so improper to me.

I am hoping for a positive outcome and you must move forward

As I said ithe letter does not have to be a masterpiece and it does not have to be perfect and I am sure they know about these companies.

First, at the beginning of the letter and in the first sentance tell them what you want. This is not to be a guessing game.

You want the charges reversed

Then in simple language first say

"I have been scammed and pressured and lied to

I have been told to do unethical thing. I want the charges from this company disputed and reversed. I have no money to pay these bills.

THEN YOU CAN GO ITO THE DETAILS AS YOU HAVE WRITTEN. You can run your letter after these first sentences.

BEFORE YOU SIGNATURE REPEAT A VARIATION of the beginning such as as the last sentence after your letter:

"Please reverse these charges, because this has been a company taking advatage of people and making people do unethical, and illegeal things. In addition I have no money to pay these charge bills and do not want to file bankrupcy

BG

Unfortunately, these kinds of things happen. I like the idea of getting on Ripoff Report and at least consulting with an attorney. And keep complaining, if they've refunded some money, they might refund more (especially if it's to get you out of their ear). And just remember going forward, anything a guru can teach you can probably be found on this website or in one of the many books ore real estate investor meetups out there.

I'm sorry to hear that @Debbie Lee .  I am an attorney myself, and my professional advice would definitely be to hire an attorney in Illinois who specializes in contract law.  They might run 100-$500 an hour, but it would be 100% totally worth it to file a lawsuit in federal court alleging fraudulent inducement, misrepresentation, duress, etc.  Network with some local attorneys and find the best one.  Keep us updated!

Originally posted by @Jared Lichtin :

I'm sorry to hear that @Debbie Lee .  I am an attorney myself, and my professional advice would definitely be to hire an attorney in Illinois who specializes in contract law.  They might run 100-$500 an hour, but it would be 100% totally worth it to file a lawsuit in federal court alleging fraudulent inducement, misrepresentation, duress, etc.  Network with some local attorneys and find the best one.  Keep us updated!

Very good advise Debbie  In the first sentence to the credit card company say that "This GURU company fradulently, induced me to commit credit card fraud and they misrepresented what they were doing and they put me under extreme durress in order for me to sign up to their product.  They also charged me much more money then they charged other people because they knew I could be manipulated because I am young and trusting,  You can also tell the attorney general about the duress and misrepresentation and credit card fraud plus what ever other kind of fraud they promoted.

if you find a law school clinic ask them to write a letter to the GURU company asking for a refund for the above  reasons

bg

IS this the real estate flipping seminar that Debbie went to???

• Armando Montelongo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armando_Montelongo Wikipedia He is the founder of a national real estate investment seminar company ... After the first season controversy of the Flip This House cast, the second ... In 2011 the seminarscompany was investigated by the state of Texas attorney general's office. Montelongo settled the case with no admittance of wrongdoing and signed an ...

Missing: gin

?

• IS this the real estate flipping seminar that Debbie went to???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armando_Montelongo

Wikipedia He is the founder of a national real estate investment seminar company ... After the first season controversy of the Flip This House cast, the second ... In 2011 the seminarscompany was investigated by the state of Texas attorney general's office. Montelongo settled the case with no admittance of wrongdoing and signed an ...

?

• IS this the real estate flipping seminar that Debbie went to???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armando_Montelongo

• Wikipedia He is the founder of a national real estate investment seminar company ... After the first season controversy of the Flip This House cast, the second ... In 2011 the seminarscompany was investigated by the state of Texas attorney general's office. Montelongo settled the case with no admittance of wrongdoing and signed an ...

?

• #1 Action  

get the letter and email out to the credit card comany and tell us when that got off

#2 Action

File a complaint with the attorney general's office.  They are on the internet.  Do not tell them about your request to the credit card company.  Just ask them to help you get a refund from the GURU company 

Tell us when that has been sent off

UPDATE: I need someone to prove reading my cover letter to CC companies. my goal is to sent out by end of tomorrow.

let me know if anyone of you are able to help out !

I guess from a proved read letter I will be able to modify slightly to send to state attorney general, and BBB etc.

Much appreciated!

Less is better; meet but do not exceed the reporting requirements to validate your claim... you will only burden the person reading your letter, and possibly confuse them.  The letter to your card company is not an appropriate forum for discussing the merits of your claim.

Sample letter to each individual credit card company:

RE:  Dispute of Charges on XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To Fraud Department:

I hereby dispute the charge of $X,XXX.00 on XX/XX/2015 by [Merchant Name that appears on statement] in full and request that you issue a refund and charge-back.  This merchant violated the Fair Credit Billing Act by not only misrepresenting their services, but by failing to render said services after collecting my money.  I have reason to believe this merchant engages in a widespread pattern of similar behavior, in violation of [VISA or MasterCard - pick appropriate one] merchant guidelines.

Sincerely,

[signature]

[printed name]

There is no reason for you to communicate directly with the company itself; they cannot prevent the charge-back, and will be forced to contact you in an attempt to collect their money once the charge-back hits their bank account.  They may, of course, subject you to collection action but that can be quelled in its tracks by gently reminding them that the FCBA allows for an award of damages plus twice the amount of any finance charges - or higher amounts (unlimited liability) if a pattern or practice of violations is established.  In the same paragraph, you would then also hint of how easy it would be to establish such pattern or practice, after compelling discovery in court of their merchant statement.  In addition, at this point, an attorney would take the case on contingency - and even possibly establish it as class action once the merchant statement is compelled and other customers contacted.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here