Skip to content
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Course/CD's/Seminar/Software FAQ/Top 10??

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:55

Hi All,

What I would love to see/find is a top 10 of the above items (courses, cd's, seminars/software) and even books..That is, for each of these different learning formats, what is the top 10 items agreed to by seasoned and beginner investors alike. What should definitely be avoided and what in particular could really help a newbie (like me) get a jumpstart and get going in real estate investing asap.

Does anyone have any advice on how a newbie like me could get bit of a head start/jump forward with REI using courses/software/cd's? Are there any products out there that could help like this or are they all over expensive and not that useful?

To that end, why is there so many things out there? Why do investors start putting out courses/e-books/cd's/software etc? The cynic in me says that REI is not giving them enough cash flow and they need something else to supplement it...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 17 2007, 02:45
Originally posted by "bs73":
To that end, why is there so many things out there? Why do investors start putting out courses/e-books/cd's/software etc? The cynic in me says that REI is not giving them enough cash flow and they need something else to supplement it...

There's definitely a lot of that out there (the old saying "those who can't, teach"), but certainly not all of the things out there are that way.

Some of these authors/gurus are trying to make money by being a part of the deals you make. For example, at our local REI club, we recently had one "guru" who was selling his wholesaling course, and one part of it dealt with helping people get financing set up -- guess what, he was also a broker and hoping to get you to use his services there. Another "guru" taught about notes (owner financing) -- he also happened to have a huge note-buying business he'd love for you to use. Now, there's nothing wrong with these tactics, and they were both very up front about the whole thing. Additionally, I learned a great deal from them and I'm glad I went to their (free) presentations.

Some people probably do it to stroke their own ego, but I also think there are some people out there who really do want to give back. It's not always easy to sort out which is which, though, and I think any book or course that someone posts here as being "great" will soon be followed by others telling you why it is not so great.

Truth be told, you can probably learn a lot more from reading old posts at this site than you will from any book or CD you pay a lot of money for. This place really is full of "doers" who share some great, real-world information.

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Replied Apr 17 2007, 03:23

To this end, can people comment on the following:
- Larry Goins software?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Apr 17 2007, 11:15
Originally posted by "bs73":
To this end, can people comment on the following:
- Larry Goins software?

Please create an individual thread for each "guru" you want to discuss. In addition, try to keep the discussion to one subject - please don't keep switching topics as it confuses people. Thanks.