• Albany, CA
Votes |
Good Land Trust education

Alan Gaber
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Albany, CA
Posted Sep 1 2013, 14:21

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good course of education on the subject of Land Trusts and related matters? I also would like to know which courses that should be avoided.

I welcome all replies and am interested in hearing from those who have taken the courses themselves.

Thanks,

Alan

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Sep 1 2013, 15:09

Years ago I bought Lou Brown's "Whole Enchilada" as he called it. It included all his materials including that on land trusts. This is where I got my basic understanding of trusts. Who is the trustee vs the trustor etc. This was good information and included his Land trust docs.

However he did not mention that land trusts are not recognized in MD and often speaks of land trusts as "Asset Protection." I have found most gurus that talk about trusts don't mention the various state laws, or lack of law, that can affect them. Most do not say that in most areas a land trust is not asset protection in the sense that is is a separate entity from you.

Bill Gatten is probably the worst promoter of land trusts. I am a pretty smart guy but his system was so complex, I didn't have a clue what he was trying to do. How do yo think a judge is going to react to something that complex that he doesn't understand?

Personally I believe land trusts do have their place but they are one of the most over promoted and overused strategies out there. Good lcuk - Ned

User Stats

Votes
Jean Norton
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 1 2013, 16:08

I use Land Trusts exclusively. I pretty much learned on my own just by researching the internet. There are some books you can find if you do an Amazon search, and Randy Hughes is a Land Trust expert that comes to all of my events.

It's more for anonymity that asset protection, but I go beyond that and use them for wholesaling, etc.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alan Gaber
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Albany, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Albany, CA
Replied Sep 6 2013, 14:26

Thanks for the reply, Ned. Most everybody talks about how simple a land trust is and that is probably true but most everybody is weak on a detailed description on how to actually create one and use it in conjunction with other entities such as LLCs. Does Lou Brown address Land Trusts in California?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Alan Gaber
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Albany, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Albany, CA
Replied Sep 6 2013, 14:28

Hi Jean,

In wholesaling, do you create your over Land Trust Agreements or do you have someone prepare them for you?

Thanks,

Alan

User Stats

Votes
Ellis San Jose
Pro Member
#5 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Westlake Village, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Westlake Village, CA
Replied Sep 6 2013, 14:35

I took a Land Trust course from a Ward Hanigan, a gentlemen in San Diego because it was California specific.

It was well worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Sep 7 2013, 00:40
Originally posted by Alan Gaber:
Does Lou Brown address Land Trusts in California?

I don't recall but I doubt he goes into state specific laws.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Sep 7 2013, 03:42

Half an hour with a local RE attorney would probably be more valuable as to what you can, and can't, accomplish with them.

User Stats

Votes
Alan Gaber
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Albany, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Albany, CA
Replied Oct 18 2013, 10:59

I just finished reading "Land Trusts for Privacy & Profit" by Mark Warda. It seems to cover all the issues with Land Trusts. Now I'm looking for detailed "how-tos" for the states where I am invested and where I'd like to invest in next: California, Georgia, and the State of Washington.

I know my portfolio is a bit scattered and I am in the process of re-adjusting. I intend on using land trusts to facilitate both acquiring and selling.

Can anyone suggest land trust information resources for the states I'm in?

User Stats

Votes
Ellis San Jose
Pro Member
  • Westlake Village, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Westlake Village, CA
Replied Oct 20 2013, 11:12

Attorneys in California are rarely trained in how investors utilize land trusts. Most of their training is using trusts for estate planning.

I belong to an informal CA trust study group/mastermind & I supplement that with what I learn from others such as Ward Hanigan who lives & invests in CA.

Be very careful trying to apply other states practices in different states. They are ineffective & very possibly dangerous.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Walston
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Northeast TN, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Northeast TN, TN
Replied Oct 20 2013, 20:49
Originally posted by Ellis San Jose:

Be very careful trying to apply other states practices in different states. They are ineffective & very possibly dangerous......

This is great advice! There are only a few states that have land trust statutes on the books, several states that don't have statutes but DO recognize land trusts from other states, and then some (like my state of TN) that do not recognize land trusts at all. You should check with a good local real estate attorney to see how land trusts are treated in the state in which your property is located.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Oct 20 2013, 21:30

There probably isn't a more knowledgeable educator on the topic than Dyches Boddiford. I recently attended his class and he answered all my questions, and I've been using title holding trusts for a decade. I've studied the materials from some of those mentioned above and they don't answer all the questions that you will be left with. Dyches covers it all.

More info can be found at assets101.com.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Schneck
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Replied Oct 20 2013, 22:26
Originally posted by Ned Carey:
Years ago I bought Lou Brown's "Whole Enchilada" as he called it. It included all his materials including that on land trusts. This is where I got my basic understanding of trusts. Who is the trustee vs the trustor etc. This was good information and included his Land trust docs.

However he did not mention that land trusts are not recognized in MD and often speaks of land trusts as "Asset Protection." I have found most gurus that talk about trusts don't mention the various state laws, or lack of law, that can affect them. Most do not say that in most areas a land trust is not asset protection in the sense that is is a separate entity from you.

Bill Gatten is probably the worst promoter of land trusts. I am a pretty smart guy but his system was so complex, I didn't have a clue what he was trying to do. How do yo think a judge is going to react to something that complex that he doesn't understand?

Personally I believe land trusts do have their place but they are one of the most over promoted and overused strategies out there. Good lcuk - Ned

User Stats

Votes
Chris Piper
  • Wholesaler
  • Mishawaka, IN
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Mishawaka, IN
Replied Oct 25 2013, 00:16

Check out http://legalwiz.com/landtrusts/

User Stats

Votes
Vladimir Gonzalez
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Altamonte Springs, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Altamonte Springs, FL
Replied Jul 2 2014, 21:04

Very Good information...Thanks Guys

User Stats

Votes
Randy H.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 14 2018, 17:25

Check out www.landtrustsmadesimple.com 

User Stats

Votes
Randy H.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 14 2018, 17:33

The key to land trust information and learning how to create land trusts is the support you get (or don't get). No matter who's course you buy you will have questions. Service is everything! I answer my phone 7 days a week for my students. Who else even ANSWERS their phone (especially after you have purchased something from them). No one else will give you the service and support that i give my students. I even created the Land Trust University which is an online learning portal...a true University! Test me! Since i cannot leave my number on this forum, go to my website and you will find my number there....then call me! See if i answer. 

Mr. Land Trust

User Stats

Votes
Randy H.
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 14 2018, 17:35

www.landtrustsmadesimple.com

User Stats

Votes
Scott Smith
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 15 2018, 10:28

Hey @Alan Gaber, the utilization land trusts can be a great tool for remaining anonymous in real estate transactions. However, it is really only useful in the broader context of asset protection when paired with a business entity that can limit liability for your properties. 

My firm actually specializes in this exact area of law. Have you heard my podcast on Bigger Pockets? It may answer some of your questions regarding land trusts and how they can be effectively utilized as part of a broader asset protection strategy. 

Hope this helps and best of luck building your Real Estate empire!