New Investor starting out.

12 Replies

Hello all! My name is Jared. I am new to investing and new to Bigger Pockets. I've perused the site the last few months and felt that it was time to take action and engage. 

I currently own a coop (rental) and recently purchased a single family home for my family as our primary residence. They are both located in lower Westchester County, NY. I've spent the brunt of my youth and adulthood in Westchester therefore I am well versed on locations, just need to match this with the real estate knowledge.

Also i am in a very related field. By profession  I am a licensed & registered NY State Architect. I have taken part in the renovation of both my properties as well as many other single and multi-family residential properties. I have connections to contractors, plumbers, electricians, material suppliers (counter tops, tiles, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, etc.) as well as engineers, home inspectors and surveyors. 

I am here to help others with connections but also gain knowledge to dive into investing in the near future. Thanks in advance for your help in my growth.      

Would love to hear how and what properties you started with here in Westchester or other parts of lower NY. (Not NYC. I know this is a different animal.) Starting out is daunting to say the least. Is the first investment deal the most stressful?    

Hi Jared!

I am also new to Bigger Pockets and studying about real estate on this site for last few weeks as well.  I would love to get connected with you and learn about RE investing in Westchester County.

I don't have much of experience in RE investing, and I am looking to network with people (newbie or experienced) to see if we can help each other (gaining knowledge, experience, finding deals, and doing analysis).

I can certainly offer you my time to help you with your RE investing or business growth.

I am a mechanical engineer and my office is in Yonkers so I can certainly offer my time after 5:30pm or on weekends.

Would you be interested in discussing how I can help you over coffee sometimes?

Thank you!

Originally posted by @Jared W Smith :

Hello all! My name is Jared. I am new to investing and new to Bigger Pockets. I've perused the site the last few months and felt that it was time to take action and engage. 

I currently own a coop (rental) and recently purchased a single family home for my family as our primary residence. They are both located in lower Westchester County, NY. I've spent the brunt of my youth and adulthood in Westchester therefore I am well versed on locations, just need to match this with the real estate knowledge.

Also i am in a very related field. By profession  I am a licensed & registered NY State Architect. I have taken part in the renovation of both my properties as well as many other single and multi-family residential properties. I have connections to contractors, plumbers, electricians, material suppliers (counter tops, tiles, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, etc.) as well as engineers, home inspectors and surveyors. 

I am here to help others with connections but also gain knowledge to dive into investing in the near future. Thanks in advance for your help in my growth.      

Would love to hear how and what properties you started with here in Westchester or other parts of lower NY. (Not NYC. I know this is a different animal.) Starting out is daunting to say the least. Is the first investment deal the most stressful?    

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

@Jared W Smith it's been 2 months so far since our last conversation, quick question have you had a chance yet in finding deals either in Mount Vernon or Yonkers area yet?  Also welcome @Masashi Borges-Silva it's great to see new folks starting out in the world of commercial multi family real estate and see the passion flowing.  Jared and Masashi feel free to join me on my path towards financial freedom...

I started out 3 months ago... and the outcome of my journey was documented on daily regular basis, i figured since we are all starting out around the same time interval it would be great for you folks to see my daily actions... and learn together with me...  If interested, feel free to message me and i will gladly share my journey with you... 

I am keeping Yonkers and Mount Vernon area on my radar, it would be great to connect with like minded individuals.  Why don't both of you come down to one of the Bigger Pocket meet ups in Manhattan.. and we can all discuss the dream towards financial freedom and exchange ideas.

I noticed lots of folks doing this on part time basis and infusing their knowledge and expertise into real estate outside of their full time job...  To me it's quiet an amazing feeling to see...  

FYI deals now days are hard to find... and i figured we all team in finding these deals together in a way that helps us overcome our fears and move ourselves closer towards reality... (the trouble is we are in seller's market on national level..and that is a fact... it's kind of tough to dive into something knowing that you are sliding down the hill and not going up the hill... ) 

It would be cool to connect and discover each other's stories... regardless of what these stories are...... success or failures or starting out stories etc.. :)

Hey everyone, I'm actually 14 years old (15 by the end of the month) from Yonkers, and I'm already getting myself into real estate by helping out investors in various different ways! I'm helping them find potential leads, practicing evaluating deals with others, trying to market for others, and many other things. I'm also looking to try to get an internship this summer with a brokerage, property management company, contractor, etc for the summer to get more hands on experience, gain knowledge, and actually be able to apply it now and in the future. The only problem is my age since I'm so young. Anyways, I'd think it would be great if we can connect sometime over messages!

Michael 14 years old is a bit young, but then again when I was 14 I made $100 per hour getting clients to sign up for weekly newspaper.

At the age of 14 is when I truly discovered that I can sell things.

I am high school certified math teacher for the state of CT and looking for someone to take under my wing in a virtual way.

Feel free to join my real estate group to learn about real estate virtually, then show me some deals if you discover any directly in my group, for other investors to see.

In my group I teach real estate and help folks discover financial freedom.

All ages are welcome to my group.  I have no restriction. I need someone like you with boots on the ground.

I am also looking for an intern in math computer science and engineering... someone super smart, to connect spray foam pumps to the cloud in Norwalk CT... is the internship...

Hence if you know anyone let me know.  However with Norwalk ct internship there is age restriction of at least 18. 

My group in real estate is about my journey... the journey towards financial freedom where I teach the secret art of Pivoting the very same art that I used to literally reach our president...  just recently on April 5th... (and I literally describe how that happened in my blog)

Joining my real estate group will accelerate your brain power 1000 times... and help you discover how to learn this field and network with people and prepare yourself for real estate career.

Many folks now days are being out gunned by digital marketing experts... in their own game... (the game of real estate)

Joining my group can help folks not get out gunned.

I must warn you though... I am in this journey for only 3 months...And not a true expert as everyone thinks I am...

The true experts are here... in this group... the wonderful folks who respond back.. 

These who respond back are the ones trust and follow.  These who do not... simply not passionate enough or scared to respond to someone like you Michael... but not me... simply because I understand your age group... since I teach it and certified to teach such age group.

However Michael be careful, no t everyone is like me...  

I would be careful who you meet or connect with.... even in this group.

Hope my advice helps.

Welcome Jared.  I'm in Brooklyn and Woodstock, NY.  I've been into this journey VERY part time for the last 20 years, and have slowly upped my involvement in RE investing over the last 4 years until I'm about 75% vs 25% on my day job.  I know a lot about RE but not much about building, so I'm focused pretty much on finding passive investors for multifamily deals in Texas.  I would love to do something in NY, but I've never been able to make the numbers work.  It may be because I've been reluctant to buy and flip because I know so little about construction, but the lack of population growth and unfriendly business environment scares me about NY.  We do own a 4-family house in Brooklyn, but we don't give leases and it's zoned residential.  

I'd be happy to share what I know, and I'm sure that others here will as well.  My best suggestions are to learn all you can, read a lot and join some meet up groups, don't pay anyone anything until you've gotten a good knowledge base, and try your best to take emotion out of the equation.  

Best of luck to you, and have fun too!

Hello Jared. I am also new to BP and in Yonkers. I have been watching the market in the Lower Westchester County area. My area of interests are MT Vernon, Yonkers, New Roc and Port Chester. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here