Software Tools for Real Estate Investing

14 Replies

Hello Real Estate Professionals.

I am a software engineer w/10+ years experience and I am interested in developing software to help real estate professionals/investors make their lives easier.

What software tools would you like to have?

Do you want software to analyze potential deals?

Let's Connect!

Almost every guru in the last 5 years has offered his  awesome amazing no work deal analyzer software, clearly a $5,967 value. So either that means tons of people want this, or there is an ocean of dead analyzer software already.

Personally i don't feel a need for a deal analyzer I can make my own spreadsheets. What i need is more traffic. Got anything that will drive people to my website or give me the phone  numbers to motivated sellers who don't have a realtor contract? Or a way to type in an address and get the home owners social media account, email and phone number? 

Cheers. 

I've got software development chops, so if you have ideas, I can make it happen.

As you were previously a game designer, I'm sure you are very thorough, but here are my thoughts.

If you have a lot of buyers with cash, you might want to look into marketing targeted at banks. I've read about a couple people who have done this and the banks will send them all of their new properties first, before even listing them.

Also, maybe if you think more about who these motivated sellers are.   Money from the sale may not be their first priority.  They are not going to fill out a form if they see you as a hungry shark looking to devour their house full of memories.  You are going to match them with buyers/investors who share their values and will treat their property with dignity and respect(whether that is true or not).  Testimonials from other sellers you have worked with would probably be invaluable in establishing trust and getting clicks.

Since you want sellers who don't have agents yet, target your advertising as though you are a local agent.  Real Estate agents aren't, generally in my experience, the most tech savvy people in the world, so you may be able to dominate local targeted marketing.

And, just as a disclaimer, I have no idea what I'm talking about, this is just how I would attack the problem.

If you think I sound competent, I have some more ideas that may help optimize marketing strategies.

Originally posted by @Nicholas Spinner :

I've got software development chops, so if you have ideas, I can make it happen.

As you were previously a game designer, I'm sure you are very thorough, but here are my thoughts.

If you have a lot of buyers with cash, you might want to look into marketing targeted at banks. I've read about a couple people who have done this and the banks will send them all of their new properties first, before even listing them.

Also, maybe if you think more about who these motivated sellers are.   Money from the sale may not be their first priority.  They are not going to fill out a form if they see you as a hungry shark looking to devour their house full of memories.  You are going to match them with buyers/investors who share their values and will treat their property with dignity and respect(whether that is true or not).  Testimonials from other sellers you have worked with would probably be invaluable in establishing trust and getting clicks.

Since you want sellers who don't have agents yet, target your advertising as though you are a local agent.  Real Estate agents aren't, generally in my experience, the most tech savvy people in the world, so you may be able to dominate local targeted marketing.

And, just as a disclaimer, I have no idea what I'm talking about, this is just how I would attack the problem.

If you think I sound competent, I have some more ideas that may help optimize marketing strategies.

Hey Nicholas,

I appreciate the assistance. If I may, I will like to suggest an App or software which can provide an estimate cost of repair comps within in a centralized area.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Gregory Guillet :

Hey Nicholas,

I appreciate the assistance. If I may, I will like to suggest an App or software which can provide an estimate cost of repair comps within in a centralized area.

Good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you are referring to repairs to rental properties so you can estimate monthly repair costs on deals.

I think the only problem there is a lack of data, unless you know a source of data.

I could set up a service where landlords can record information about their properties and then allow people to run statistics by neighborhood, zip, state, etc...  Could be expensive, but I could potentially sell it to one of these big real estate syndicates.

@Nicholas Spinner ,

Like other have mentioned, the deal analyzer software are everywhere.  I made my own.  What would be of value, I think, would be a program that can leverage county auditor meta data to identify potential sellers.  You could create a nice base product and work as a consultant to ensure it interfaces well with the customers areas of interest.  Or you could keep it for yourself and be the local bird-dog master.  Have you considered this route?

@Nicholas Spinner ,

Like others have mentioned, the deal analyzer software are everywhere.  I made my own.  What would be of value, I think, would be a program that can leverage county auditor meta data to identify potential sellers.  You could create a nice base product and work as a consultant to ensure it interfaces well with the customers areas of interest.  Or you could keep it for yourself and be the local bird-dog master.  Have you considered this route?

I have considered both.  I actually have a huge "in" to my local county as I am a software engineer for the tax collector/auditor/assessor.  And that gives me an "in" to most of the state. ;)

This thread was mainly for networking, I'm not really digging for a business model.

I'm a huge fan of open data, if I can develop an API that can easily integrate into existing government systems, and I can convince counties that it is in their best interest, then I can build I single aggregate algorithm to collect and analyze all the data. But that is a pipe dream.

For the short term, I would love to be a bird dog for local investors.

Well, this is a godsend lol. I was just recently looking into some real-estate specific CRMs and other database & project management systems to help my organize and execute on my projects. I found some cool ones, but nothing seems to be the perfect, do-it-all solution.

I was just thinking that I'd like to have a multi-database solution myself, and probably something that I'd need to create myself. I'd like to have a CRM portion for contacts, another database section for storing property information, and another database for materials. I like to pick out flooring, tiles, and appliances before I even rehab, and will just size my orders to my projects. Also, being about to link  all of these various pieces into individual projects with schedule/calendar and to-do lists w/ assignees would be my perfect solution.

Contact me for any additional info as I'm totally willing to pay good money for a such a custom solution.

Originally posted by @Bud Leiser :

Or a way to type in an address and get the home owners social media account, email and phone number? 

Cheers. 

While this is possible, it borders on creepy. There are many websites that will sell you on personal & financial info for some money. But, it is amazing how much personal information is already available online. I can imagine this kind of intrusion is legal, but would be uncomfortable if the homeowner found out.

Beenverified, propertyshark, or the property search site for a city/county will sometimes give you the owners name and phone number based on the address.  Type their name or number in the most popular social media sites and chances are you will discover a lot more.

This post has been removed.

Nicolas - Did you ever get further on your idea? We are thinking of developing something similar in TX that is build with MLS data and would help to quickly analyze deals for investors and reduce much of the manual data pulling. Just curious if your idea turned into anything! :)

@Dell Epps what kind of cool CRM are you using or found ? I am using vTiger CRM which is open source and free. I will write a blog about it for the community at BP. 

With a small investment it can be customized to meet real estate domain requirements.

A driving for dollars app that is like homesnap but geared for driving for dollars and investors, that you can export to Excel, PDFs, etc.