• Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
Advice on Organization

Curtis Smith
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Posted Jul 9 2016, 12:24

i'm a new investor and my question is What do seasoned investors use for organizing information?

For example:

1. Keeping information on Contacts for Buyers & Sellers?  Do you just store in your smartphone or is there a Real Estate organizational software / program you use?

2. I want to separately keep notes and information on each deal I do individually so I can have a portfolio to show for maybe raising capital but also to just review to see what mistakes were made etc...

Tired of my desk looking like a paper recycle bin...

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Angotti
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jul 9 2016, 12:56

Hey Curtis,

I think it depends on your own personal style. I use google docs with my girlfriend to keep all of our documents together. I scan everything that I have and type up a lot. 

I also operate well with Excel. 

For contacts I just use my phone and make sure that I have something in there to code everyone. I use the company blank a lot so that it comes up in iPhone search. You can list the property address in that field. You can back everything up to i cloud or whatever cloud service you have. Then I use the reminders app to set up re-occuring calendar events to call people. 

What kind of additional information would you like to keep? I also have a filing cabinet where I keep files on everything for paper docs. 

I'm sure there are good programs but I've just learned to operate within the programs and functionality that I already have. 

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Smith
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jul 9 2016, 13:32

Yes I will look into Google Docs. My main goal is to just keep each deal I do separately in their own file. I want things on the computer so I can access as paperless as possible.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Smith
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jul 9 2016, 13:32

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Scott Culver
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Owings, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Owings, MD
Replied Jul 9 2016, 13:54

I use Evernote and Expensify.  I believe there are free trials for both. 

I keep a Notebook for Potential Properties, and move them to their own Notebook when I purchase them. 

For potential properties I can clip information from websites, track auction end dates, as well as opening bids and reserves.

For properties I purchase, I create subfolders:

Documents - for contracts and proposals etc.

Expenses -  copies of receipts

Photos - Before, during and after

To Do list

Completed Tasks

The software is available online, on my desktop and my phone. It is great to be in a store and have a list of items needed, pictures, and measurements on a device I never go anywhere without.

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Smith
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jul 9 2016, 19:58

@Scott Culver thank you for the recommendations.  I will give it a free trail.    

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Smith
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jul 9 2016, 19:59

@Scott Culver thank you for the recommendations.  I will give it a free trial.    

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Smith
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied Jul 9 2016, 20:00

trial*