Votes
Robin Adams
  • Coventry, RI
Votes |
Advice on Private Lending Company

Robin Adams
  • Coventry, RI
Posted Jun 11 2017, 09:26
Hi Everyone, I'm in the process of negotiating a deal for a single family with 5 bed. My plan is to use for a student rental by charge by the bedroom. I'm looking into private lending. I recently contacted a company Express Fidelity Funds. I found them on Linkdein. Wondering if anyone has had any dealings with this company before I move forward. The rate is 7% down and 6% interest only for 1 year plus a 1% up front charge. Appreciate any insight.

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Messer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Medellín, Colombia
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Medellín, Colombia
Replied Jun 11 2017, 17:12

Hi @Robin Adams Just to be clear: This company is likely an asset-based lender or hard money lender. But they are not a private lender.

Private lenders are individuals with funds who are already inside your network and who are interested in having you put their money to work. Their rates and terms are whatever the two of you negotiate.

I've no personal experience with Express Fidelity Funds, but unless they are related to Fidelity Investments I'd say they've gone out of their way just to sound legitimate and huge. Not usually a great sign.

Do thorough due-diligence, double-check references and be very careful!

User Stats

Votes
Robin Adams
  • Coventry, RI
Votes |
  • Coventry, RI
Replied Jun 11 2017, 18:32

Thank you for the advice

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Hershberger
  • Union City, PA
Votes |
  • Union City, PA
Replied Jun 12 2017, 05:49

The BBB gives them an F scorecard. BBB has determined that this company is not located at the address listed in its Business Profile. The business is reporting an office address of 5700 Westpark Dr, Chralotte NC 28217. However, this address belongs to a hotel.

If you have a complaint, please go to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jun 14 2017, 06:10

Find someone at your local real estate investor association or club. Why are people so trusting when it comes to the internet?? There are so many scammers out there. I have heard so many people lose money by finding a lender, appraiser, or whatever because they trust anyone on the internet.

Dont do it.