Renter asked to move out after 5 days

Renter asked to move out after 5 days

Investor · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes

I just leased a duplex to a boyfriend girlfriend and two of their kids.  The tenant is now asking for their security back because they claim someone tried to break into their house.  Something is not adding up because just last week they were asking about us putting them into a different duplex because the noise across the street was too loud for them.  Then this morning I get a text message from the boyfriend asking if I had any one bedrooms available that he would be interested in.  I suggested that might not be enough room for the whole family and he said it was just for him.  

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
11y

@Jason Wokutch I would charge them the full months rent, but let them out of the lease. They sound like they are already going to be more trouble than it is worth. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    11y

    @Jason Wokutch I would charge them the full months rent, but let them out of the lease. They sound like they are already going to be more trouble than it is worth. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Exactly what Russell said. 

    In addition, if there are damages to the property make sure to withhold for damages!

  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2015 · 241 posts · 132 votes
    11y
    What I do in this situation is to give the tenant incentive to leave in a timely manner, while leaving the property in rent ready condition. One thing for certain is that they are leaving. what I would try to do is to find a way to make that happen on your terms. If they are splitting and wanting to leave, they are in need of money. I wouldn't give all the deposit back, but I would work out a partial payment deal. If you try to hold on to tight you could end up really losing, damages, cleaning expenses, lost rent, possible elections, ect... Often it's better to work out a peaceful solution for all involved. In the end we must exam why our system fails us and allowed this situation to happen. Good luck!!
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    Let them walk. I assume you had them sign a 12 month lease. Keep the deposit.

  • Contractor · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    I agree! Better an empty apartment than a bad tenant - something is not right with their excuses, letting them out, keep the security (for breaking the lease) then move on. Check backgrounds, credit check and get letters from previous landlords (if you can)!
  • Investor · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    thanks for everyone's advice!  Agreed the best solution is to move on and find a more responsible tennant.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    I would not keep all the deposit for the breaking the lease but use some of it as incentive to vacate early.  If the tenant knows they are losing their entire deposit for breaking their lease they have no incentive to leave the place in decent, near rent worthy condition.

    The sooner they are out the better for you and the deposit money can be useful in getting this to happen.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.