Renter asked to move out after 5 days

7 Replies

I just leased a duplex to a boyfriend girlfriend and two of their kids.  The tenant is now asking for their security back because they claim someone tried to break into their house.  Something is not adding up because just last week they were asking about us putting them into a different duplex because the noise across the street was too loud for them.  Then this morning I get a text message from the boyfriend asking if I had any one bedrooms available that he would be interested in.  I suggested that might not be enough room for the whole family and he said it was just for him.  

@Jason Wokutch I would charge them the full months rent, but let them out of the lease. They sound like they are already going to be more trouble than it is worth. 

Medium logo lf re cire box white bboxRussell Brazil, Associate Broker w/ Long & Foster | [email protected] | (301) 893‑4635 | http://www.RussellBrazil.com | MD Agent # 648402, DC Agent # SP98375353, VA Agent # 0225219736, MA Agent # 9052346 | Podcast Guest on Show #192

Exactly what Russell said. 

In addition, if there are damages to the property make sure to withhold for damages!

What I do in this situation is to give the tenant incentive to leave in a timely manner, while leaving the property in rent ready condition. One thing for certain is that they are leaving. what I would try to do is to find a way to make that happen on your terms. If they are splitting and wanting to leave, they are in need of money. I wouldn't give all the deposit back, but I would work out a partial payment deal. If you try to hold on to tight you could end up really losing, damages, cleaning expenses, lost rent, possible elections, ect... Often it's better to work out a peaceful solution for all involved. In the end we must exam why our system fails us and allowed this situation to happen. Good luck!!

I agree! Better an empty apartment than a bad tenant - something is not right with their excuses, letting them out, keep the security (for breaking the lease) then move on. Check backgrounds, credit check and get letters from previous landlords (if you can)!

thanks for everyone's advice!  Agreed the best solution is to move on and find a more responsible tennant.

I would not keep all the deposit for the breaking the lease but use some of it as incentive to vacate early.  If the tenant knows they are losing their entire deposit for breaking their lease they have no incentive to leave the place in decent, near rent worthy condition.

The sooner they are out the better for you and the deposit money can be useful in getting this to happen.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you