Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jerryian Francois
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
House hack , brrrr , lenders , plan !!

Jerryian Francois
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Jun 8 2022, 11:07

Hey Bigger pockets family  hope all is well with you all this is for all my bp family out there  i Am currently very interested in completing my first brrrr here in Miami fl but need some clarity. My strategy is to target multi family (units 1-3 ) that needs a minor cosmetic rehab .

A little bit about myself and my situation .

so me and fiancé just closed on our duplex making it our first property in starting our rental business our long term plan is to buy and hold ! we used  her name to secure the loan and her  credit ,she is a dental hygienist so we used her pay ,she got approved for 400k and I basically just brought the 20% down payment and  the experience . it’s now been a little over 6 months we recently just got approved again for about 400k for a mortgage and we are contemplating to complete a house hack using the 3.5 leverage being that 20% down payment took a hit on my cash reserves 3.5 sounds more capable for us right now . With that being said should we continue on our path to house hack?  or try to obtain a brrrr loan using my fiancé information and is it capable to do so ? Just curious to hear what would be some of you guys next move 

would also like to know  would the loan cover the rehab cost and some of the purchase price ? 

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 8 2022, 11:19

@Jerryian Francois Welcome to BP and congrats on closing the duplex property. That's difficult to do now days. It's important to remember the meaning of the BRRRR strategy. You can't just buy buy buy and think these properties will pane out as great investments. It's easy to run out of money, run out of reserves, and start negative cash-flowing. In my market that's dangerous. In yours maybe not based on appreciation and other factors.

What value are you adding to the duplex? Are you forcing the value or increasing future cash-flow? Buying another property with a low down payment right now is tempting but I think it's a bad idea given how you described the situation. Absolutely nothing wrong with house-hacking. I'd be patient and have solid game plan for property #2. That's just my 2 cents. 

User Stats

Votes
Jerryian Francois
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jun 8 2022, 11:45
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

@Jerryian Francois Welcome to BP and congrats on closing the duplex property. That's difficult to do now days. It's important to remember the meaning of the BRRRR strategy. You can't just buy buy buy and think these properties will pane out as great investments. It's easy to run out of money, run out of reserves, and start negative cash-flowing. In my market that's dangerous. In yours maybe not based on appreciation and other factors.

What value are you adding to the duplex? Are you forcing the value or increasing future cash-flow? Buying another property with a low down payment right now is tempting but I think it's a bad idea given how you described the situation. Absolutely nothing wrong with house-hacking. I'd be patient and have solid game plan for property #2. That's just my 2 cents. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Jerryian Francois
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jun 8 2022, 11:47
Quote from @Jerryian Francois:
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

Hey thanks for the awesome advice Definitely trying to map out the best way to get property number 2