Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Philip Levi
Pro Member
Votes |
First Refinance on the horizon

Philip Levi
Pro Member
Posted Jul 5 2022, 09:48

Hello all. I am a new real estate investor and I have just completed a renovation on my first property. It's just about time to refinance to find another property. 

I have several questions.

1.)Who should I refinance with?

2.) Can I refinance now (while values are high) and then wait to purchase a property once the market cools off in several months? 

3.) Are there any tax liabilities triggered by doing this?

Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Sasha Mohammed
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:01

hi @Philip Levi!

1) I'm a bit biased, but i recommend you reach out to a broker that specializes in these loan types. you'll find that there's a broker/ mortgage lender on just about every street corner, but many of them (i'd venture to say even "most" of them) stick to the cookie-cutter type loans, and don't have a good understanding of the investor side of things. there are lenders tailored to your BRRRR strategy. you won't find them by calling up Loan Depot for example, and many Loan Officers will try to fit you into their box. I suggest looking for a broker who's investor-focused, let them do the shopping for you.

2) you can refinance now, sure. usually lenders will want 6 month seasoning from purchase price in order to use appraised value instead of purchase price for value. some lenders (again, investor-focused lenders) will let you go off appraised value right away if you can document your renovations. not a bad idea to hold the cash until an opportunity presents itself, but I would caution you against "waiting for a cool off" and instead, focusing more on finding the "right deal". 

3) talk to a licensed CPA on this, but my understanding is that if you're doing a cash-out refi, it is not taxable. it's not income, and it is not capital gains... it is debt. 

Investor Property Loan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lorenzo Prieto
  • Lender
Votes |

Hi Philip, 

1. This depends on what your goals are. Best thing to do is consult with a lender and explain what you are trying to accomplish. A good lender should be asking these questions to ensure they are finding the best program to set you up for success. It could be beneficial to shop around to make sure you are getting a  competitive rate and favorable terms.

2. Yes, you can refinance now and look at purchasing later. However, if you are looking to do a cash out refi you will be paying interest on the new loan amount plus cash out immediately. If this is your primary residence you can do a HELOC on the property and have the line of credit ready to go without paying interest on it. It will sit interest free as long as you don't draw from it. This could be an option for you.

3. Unfortunately, I’m not a CPA or tax advisor so I cannot help with this question.

Hope this helps! 

BiggerPockets logo
        Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
        |
        BiggerPockets
        Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
        Steven Foster Wilson
        • Rental Property Investor
        • Columbus, OH
        Votes |
        • Rental Property Investor
        • Columbus, OH
        Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:15
        Quote from @Philip Levi:

Hello all. I am a new real estate investor and I have just completed a renovation on my first property. It's just about time to refinance to find another property. 

I have several questions.

1.)Who should I refinance with?

2.) Can I refinance now (while values are high) and then wait to purchase a property once the market cools off in several months? 

3.) Are there any tax liabilities triggered by doing this?

Thanks so much!

I would call as many lenders as possible and compare rates and terms. When I am refinancing a property I always do my research and call multiple lenders. I even pulled out of my recent refinance because midway through I found another bank that had significantly better terms. 

I have refinanced and waited to buy another property. I would just calculate the benefits of waiting or buying another one. Sometimes lenders have better deals if you use the refinance to buy your next property. I would call around and see what you can find. 

I have never had any issues but it is always worth double checking. 

User Stats

Votes
        Issac San Miguel
        • Lender
        • Austin Texas
        Votes |
        • Lender
        • Austin Texas
        Replied Jul 5 2022, 10:17

Sasha hit the nail on the head with her response.

There are bevy of DSCR loan products out there designed to meet different goals.

What is your goal for the property? Do you want to maximize your cash out? Do you want to focus on what the best and lowest interest rate? Do you want to focus on the lowest payment on the property?

All of those are questions I would ask to tailor a long term note towards the property.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

User Stats

Votes
        Andrew Garcia
        • Lender
        • Charlotte, NC
        Votes |
        • Lender
        • Charlotte, NC
        Replied Jul 5 2022, 13:40

Hi @Philip Levi, I agree with Sasha.

1. A mortgage broker that specializes in investor loans is your best bet. Shop around with 3-4 to ensure that none of them are out of line. If you want a step-by-step on shopping lenders, please let me know.

2. You could refinance now to lock in your interest rate and high appraised value. Then, if rates improve in 6 months, you could do a rate and term refinance with lower costs to lower your rate and monthly payment. You can get your cash in as little as 2-3 weeks so I would wait until you can actively search for deals. If your schedule is super busy for the next 3 months, it might be better to wait.

3. Talk to a CPA.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

User Stats

Votes
        Andrew Postell
        Lender
        Pro Member
        #1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
        • Lender
        • Fort Worth, TX
        Votes |
        Lender
        Pro Member
        #1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
        • Lender
        • Fort Worth, TX
        Replied Jul 5 2022, 14:43

@Philip Levi congrats on completing your first property.  You have taken a step that a lot of people never will.  I'm sure you learned a lot from it already but the journey has just begun!  Time to learn from this one and get better and better and better with each one.  It will be a lot of hard work - but if you can do it, then it will change your life.

1.)Who should I refinance with? - I wrote an entire post on this topic that you can read HERE.

2.) Can I refinance now (while values are high) and then wait to purchase a property once the market cools off in several months? - Sure....you sure it will cool down though?

3.) Are there any tax liabilities triggered by doing this? - Tax liabilities from cash out refinancing?  From purchasing a new property?  From waiting?  In either case, no.  The tax we face as investors is from SELLING the asset or from the INCOME we make on the property (cash flow).  No tax triggers come from a refinance nor from a purchase...nor from waiting but other things happen from waiting.

Anyway, hope all of that makes sense.  Thanks!

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
        Philip Levi
        Pro Member
        Votes |
        Pro Member
        Replied Jul 5 2022, 17:15

Wow! thank you for all the great responses everyone. I will sift through these and come back around. Thanks again!

User Stats

Votes
        Basit Siddiqi
        Pro Member
        • Accountant
        • New York, NY
        Votes |
        Pro Member
        • Accountant
        • New York, NY
        Replied Jul 8 2022, 10:35

3.) Are there any tax liabilities triggered by doing this?

A refinance is not a taxable transaction as you are not selling the property.
        It is an increase in cash and an increase in a loan.