Votes
Sharlisa Elzy
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Title Companies!

Sharlisa Elzy
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Feb 23 2014, 20:42

Can anyone refer investor friendly title companies in the Chicagoland area? Also, can you get lists for seller leads from title companies in the area?

User Stats

Votes
Tom Mendez
  • Commercial Multi Family Broker
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Commercial Multi Family Broker
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Feb 24 2014, 10:31

I have asked similar questions on the site for my area, and received so-so advice.

What I wound up doing was just spending an hour calling a number of title companies in my area. Telling them right away that I want to work creative finance deals, I asked if they did assignments and double-closings.

The companies that I spoke with said that they would give me lead information as well.

Now I know who I am working with, and what they are will to do for me.

Best to you!

User Stats

Votes
Manny Cirino
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Winter haven, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Winter haven, FL
Replied Feb 24 2014, 11:21

@Sharlisa Elzy

Can anyone refer investor friendly title companies in the Chicagoland area? Also, can you get lists for seller leads from title companies in the area?

I know having someone with expierince is is easier than doing the work. But you have to do the leg work it makes great practice and the title companies are usually more willing to help than you think because they often deal with people who are not familiar with the closing process.

Step 1: google- Title Companies in (City Name Here)

Step 2: introduce yourself and explain how you are looking to get in to real estate investing in this area and you are looking for title company who is familiar with creative REI technics.

They may ask for specific strategies and you explain what it is you want to do.

If they say no that you ask if they can refer you a company who does. they may or they may not refer you to there competition.

If they say yes then make sure you use this first call to get questions you have answerred so that you are not constently calling them with questions like I did to mines.

General Questions such as:
- do you work with real estate investors
- do you honor assignment of contracts
- do you honor double closing(a-b,b-c closing)
- how long are you guys able to close in.
- what are your fees for closing on both buyer and seller side
- how much do they charge for doc stamps per page
- what is a good rule of thumb to use to estimate closing cost in a percentage(example in my area it is generally 5% of the purchase price depending on number of pages)
- if you need state contract also ask them for these, usually they have PDF. files they will email you

These are just a few tips to help. But you should really just call there will be lesson in that somewhere.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sharlisa Elzy
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 24 2014, 14:54

Thanx both of you guys! @Manny Cirino I don't mind the work, just didn't quite know where to start but you have helped tremendously so I will get on it. Thanx again!

User Stats

Votes
Manny Cirino
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Winter haven, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Winter haven, FL
Replied Feb 24 2014, 19:07

@sharlisa elzy any time please keep us posted with your results.