HELP! 120+ Year old plaster with multiple layers of wallpaper and paint!! Fixes..?.

4 Replies

Hello friends!

Has anyone had experience with this? I bought a rental property and am debating skiming over the bubbling portions, or just drywalling over everything - since there is a TON of bubbling/bowing from the wallpaper.....

Anyone had experience with this? Don't know which is more cost effective/lasts longer...

Thanks for the help! :)

Drywall over everything.  Repaired plaster just cracks again in my experience.

Of course you need something solid to fasten the drywall to.

Andrew,

You may want to consider 1/4 inch sheetrock. It's lighter weight, cheaper and when finished it will provide a smooth firm surface, when applied over a solid base. You want to remove any lumps or bubbles and patch any voids before you begin.    

Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

Drywall over everything.  Repaired plaster just cracks again in my experience.

Of course you need something solid to fasten the drywall to.

we had to lay 1x 3's to attach the new drywall & we had a heavy adobe plaster effect in most rooms. We replaced all the electrical so the new boxes were installed to compensate for the thicker walls. 

The SFR I own had this done to it - double walls throughout, probably in the 40s or 50s, guessing from the paint colors & layers. That's not the long-term problem, however.

They also doubled the ceilings - put up furring strips over the existing plaster & installed drywall. After time, the original plaster gave up, fell out of the lath & collected on the drywall, causing it to bow between the furring strips & in some places, pull out the nails & collapse the drywall sheets.  

What a mess. If they had just knocked the original plaster out & attached the drywall to the existing lath & joists, it would've been fine. Plaster is heavy & drywall isn't designed to be load-bearing!

The double walls are fine, although fishing electrical through 1-2 feet of (again) collapsed plaster at the bottom can necessitate cutting holes in the wall - you can't poke anything through that stuff.

Anyway, that's been my experience - good luck! AND WEAR A MASK OR RESPIRATOR!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.