Seeking Good, Cost-Effective Houston Contractors

3 Replies

Hi, I'm an out of state buy-and-hold investor and am having problems finding a good contractor/handyman in the Houston (specifically Friendswood) area whom I can trust.  The ones I've used are either too pricey (handyman services who have a significant markup) or undependable.  I need help, please!  

Thanks!

Hi @Roger C.  , we live near Friendswood.  I have one guy I've used on our personal home, but I'm about to have him do some work for me, so you can't have his name till that's done.  :-)

In the meantime, there are 2 local magazines that are reputable and have handyman ads. Both are in Pearland, which is adjacent to Friendswood.  Maybe they are more expensive because they advertise, but you could check:

http://brownbagvalues.com/feb2015/

http://www.pearlandsbest.com/

Also, a couple of weeks ago we drove by a house we were interested in, and there was someone there working so went up to talk to him. It turns out that he had just purchased the house. He said that he is an investor and also a contractor. I've never used him, so I can't really recommend him, but I will say that he had purchased a house the day before and was in there getting to work on it. His name is Frank Gomez and his card says he is "Owner/Investor" with Galilee Construction & Investments, LLC. His email is [email protected] .

I have also had very good luck using HomeAdvisor.com , so you might try that.

Hey Leigh Ann,

Thanks for the reco!  I will email him and see what he's about.  Given that he's an investor, not sure what kind of "low" rates he could charge, but I can always ask, right?  :)

Ok, keep me posted on your guy (after you're done, of course).  I've been let down by a couple people who claim to be good but then end up being unprofessional.  Why is it so hard to find good people? 

Btw, since I live in California, what other areas in the Houston area would you recommend for SFR rentals? So far we've purchased in Friendswood, Pearland and La Porte. I've heard Clear Lake is good, but typically we're looking for homes under $150k, so not sure what that limits us to.

Thanks again for your thoughts and your help!

Roger

You should definitely be able to find properties on the south side of Houston for under $150K.  We are trying to stay around $100K, and that's a bit more difficult.  Since you've already purchased some properties here, you probably know to check the flood zone of the property.  We are avoiding properties in the coastal counties since windstorm insurance is required if there is a mortgage, and that can be pretty pricey.  Lots of cracked foundations here, so that's something to be aware of.

Many of the homes in Clear Lake are 30 - 50 years old, due to all of the development when the space program was at its peak, so some of those should be in that price range.  

Let me know if you have more questions about this part of town as you continue to look at property here!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here