Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Local Real Estate Networking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dave Fontana
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Western Carolina
Votes |
What do you think most people want out of a REI Meeting?

Dave Fontana
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Western Carolina
Posted Apr 15 2015, 05:00

I was curious about what most people want to get out of a REI meeting. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Davis
  • Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Apr 15 2015, 06:00

Valuable content & information without being pitched another guru program.

An environment that fosters networking and leveraging connections.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Rodriguez
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 17 2015, 05:17

@Dave Fontana  the previous two comments are correct.  I would also add the following

1)  allow new comers a chance to socialize and be well received by others often times, many new investors wether to Real Estate Investing or the general area. Do not know the regular members.

2) yes we do not want to be pitched another Guru investment technique or material. However how else are the operators of the venue suppose to make their money? Everything cost money even renting the location of the meet up. (This is why my first point would be even more refreshing, even if there is a strong sales pitch) 

How else did we get here? Someone directed us to find the group meet up

3) tangible connections (see my first point) Ex: lawyers, accountants, other parties in the transactions 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Greg Behan
  • Contractor
  • Skippack, PA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Skippack, PA
Replied Apr 17 2015, 06:01

Networking. I would think people want to meet other people that are working in the same field. Also you never know when you are going to meet a lender or if you're a lender you might meet the right investor. There are a million examples of two people that could cross paths and benefit from it at local REIA meetings.

User Stats

Votes
Juan Diaz
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Emeryville, CA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Emeryville, CA
Replied Apr 17 2015, 06:12

As someone who runs an REI meetup, the first comment hit it on the head. Everyone's looking for new information, whether they're seasoned veterans or newbies. There are various things that you can do to make the environment more welcoming for both groups, but ultimately providing novel and useful information is the most important thing.

And I agree with @Christopher Rodriguez, it costs money to host a meetup, book the venue, etc. There are some seasoned pros who will attend every meeting, leech all the information from you they can to try to find your secrets, and are allergic to any form of helping out the meetup. If everyone was like that, no one would do any meetups.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Rodriguez
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 17 2015, 08:50

you are right.... i may be venturing new into the real estate investing side of this business but being a former NYS Realtor has shaped my views on a lot of things. then venturing off and falling to what a guru has mentioned. Luckily those who are genuine and are truly committed will prosper because they are not looking for a Quick way.

as with anything in life it is the dedication, commitment and especially time invested that will yield results. how high you climb falls on other things. So when they attempt to steal, borrow or twist information their efforts fall short.

and we are a community. and because we are a community word of mouth gets around. i am glad Juan took the time to express the view of an operator of a venue for REI Clubs.

@Juan Diaz