Relocating to FL, Not set on where...

Relocating to FL, Not set on where...

Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes

Hey all! 

I am looking to relocate to FL with my family and struggling to choose a destination. I have a steady residual income and there is nothing keeping us in Central Ohio. I currently have a commercial property and three residential, so I have some experience. From our travels, I am fond of the Pensacola/Destin area, as well as Jacksonville/St. Augustine, and Orlando/New Smyrna Beach. I would also consider Sarasota/Tampa/St. Petersburg. 

I'm looking to invest in a diversified portfolio that would include single family homes to flip, lease option and hold, smaller multi-family to hold and possibly select units to airbnb. 

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone and particularly someone who has experience in more than one of these areas. 

Specifically, I'd like to know:

1. How is the support system (REIA or similar)?

2. Is any one of these markets particularly under valued and/or have a high growth prospect? 

3. 

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 5 votes
9y

Definitely should invest in Jacksonville, FL. I left Jacksonville in 2013 and went back last week. I've talk to Investors in that area, Southside of Jacksonville is a plus. Definitely a city to look at. Jax will be a hot spot soon. A lot of residential development projects going on over there. 

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the feedback @Steven Crosby I am completely aligned with what you're saying as it relates to family, crime, etc. 

    We really liked Palm Harbor and South Sarasota. We also really like the waves and the general vibe of the East, including how dog-friendly the beaches are--something very important to us. We did love how close we could be to major sporting events and the arts on the West Coast. 

    In the end... it's a REALLY tough decision.  Where we land we want to stay for at least four years to get my son through high school.

  • Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hi @Douglas Mack - We moved to the Treasure Coast a couple of years ago, particularly in Fort Pierce.  We do love it on this side of the state and the farther south gives you more of the tropical setting.  

    We have just started to look into investment properties (would have been a lot better if we did when we first moved here) and are having a hard time finding deals that make sense, at least by looking on the MLS. It sounds like we may need to broaden our search just north starting at Vero.

    Message me if you have any questions or want to connect next time in town.

    Exciting adventure!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 140 votes
    9y

    I live in DeLand, Fl, which is about halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach, and about 35 mins to the beach.  DeLand is a smaller town that recently won the "America's Mainstreet" award.  It is also home to Stetson University.  Homes are not really that high compared to some other areas of Florida.  I have good success with flips and rentals.  

    Daytona Beach is a tourist town and just seems not all that friendly to new people, in my observation.

    I like the Jax/St. Augustine area also and it seems to be growing.  Only thing is that Jacksonville has had I-95 road construction going on for the past 45 years or more, it seems.

    Years ago, I left the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area because it grew so big and traffic was terrible.  But, the climate is nice.

  • Real Estate Broker · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 89 votes
    9y

    I live in and love the Melbourne Area. It was my pick after traveling to 48/50 states (except Idaho and Alaska) as well as 25 trips to Canada. This area has all of the amenities of a huge city, but the relaxed, low-key vibe of a smaller country town. If I want to go to a major sporting event, I am 1-3 hours from ANYTHING, football, basketball, nascar, ncaa, etc. I also love the having the ocean and great outdoor activities nearby. It's been a great place to live for the past 8 years or so.

  • Real Estate Agent · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    I have lived in South FL, SW FL and now Gainesville.  Originally from the North, as well.  Jupiter has one of the best school districts in South FL, if not the best.  Boca and Wellington are also good if not tied.  I agree that being near the coast is best and we plan to move more coastal in the near future.  No sense in being land-locked if living in FL is my opinion.  Prefer the East coast over West.  Found SW FL to not have as much youth as we would have preferred, even though the area is growing.  Have never heard anything bad about St. Augustine either.  Not a big fan of Orlando due to the traffic and Disney tourists.

    The humidity this summer seems extra heavy, something to get used to but better than snow and ice that I used to deal with.  Sounds like you are doing your research so I'm sure you will land in the right place.

  • Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Quick update. We have decided on Satellite Beach and vicinity. I would like to see my son at Viera HS and she doesn't want to live in Viera. It looks like we may be able to reside in Viera, Melbourne or Rockledge and that be possible. Anyone know for sure? If we're stuck with the "home" school, we'll likely end up in Satellite Beach.

  • Real Estate Agent · Indialantic, FL · Member since 2014 · 182 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @Douglas Mack!  Brevard County is an awesome location.  I just looked up Viera High, and unfortunately, they are frozen out of area applications, so at this time the only way to attend there is to live within the boundaries.  You can put the address you are interested into the search bar of this site to see what school you will atttend: http://apps.schoolsitelocator.com/?districtcode=00...

    Here is the viera school boundary map: http://florida.hometownlocator.com/schools/profile...

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Douglas Mac, your interest in Sarasota is a very interesting one. When I was a supervisor at SCI Construction I spent about 8 months there while building the sewer plant addition and a Zaxby' chicken. Some of the hotter areas are in a bubble in my opinion or at the least too overvalued to invest in unless your rehabbing $500k and up homes or have a substantial amount of capital for passive (look at siesta key for example, homes there reach $5 million or higher, with condos starting in the $300k range).  If you look in the correct surrounding area however there is some great potential. The crime is the same as most small city's, good areas and bad. HOWEVER, the beaches are some of the best in the country in my experience. I wish you the best in selecting a new area with your family. Happy Investing, In Community, Steven Crosby

  • Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    That is incredibly supportive @Wendy Vaidic . Thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    Hey @Douglas Mack,

    I'm in the Jacksonville, FL area and grew up in South Florida. We've been all over Florida and Satellite Beach is definitely a pretty area. Investment wise I like Jacksonville best for residential investments, Orlando for air bnb, and commercial depends on the deal. Jacksonville, Daytona and Orlando all have potential in the surrounding area. 

  • Professional · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Awesome @Joey Hamaoui . I appreciate the insight. 

    I feel like it would really be best to nail down a niche for investing and I'm struggling with that. Seeing the transformation gives my pride a fix while buy & holds work toward my long term financial goals. I mentioned this in a topic over here:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/386841-comparison-of-different-rei-strategies

  • Real Estate Broker · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    Hi @Douglas Mack. I live 7 minutes from Satellite Beach and our district is Viera HS.  I would be more than happy to share what I know.  Let me know if you want to chat.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 163 votes
    9y

    I completely understand what you're going through @Douglas Mack. I've narrowed my focus to buy & hold because I firmly believe that is where the long-term wealth resides. However I do have several other opportunities come strolling by every now and then and being a millennial I sometimes chase the squirrels.

    I always get back to buy and hold though and I think ultimately that is the best strategy for reaching my goals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.