Newbie In Chicago looking for advice!

4 Replies

@Nishant Patel ..welcome to BP!.

For books, definitely check this link out...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/wp-conten...

I bought the books recommended there by @Brandon Turner and they are awesome books..learned a lot from them.

Also read the blogs, listen to podcasts..all free!..try going to local REI meetings as well. You can visit the events page on BP to find out about local REI meetings.

Hello Nishant,

I am also a newbie in the Chicago area. I thought the book on real estate investing was great as well. Another book I i found some valuable insight in was "Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, & Quads" by Larry B. Loftis. The wouldn't say the whole book was great, but there are some great tis bits of information scattered throughout the book. Note: this book was written in 2007 and it is very obvious that the author was caught up in the euphoric state of the market at the time. Take caution infusing his optimistic number in your analyses. 

Bryan 

Hi Nishant,

I also am a newbie in the Chicagoland area. Some books that I've found useful include:

• "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow" by Frank Gallinelli. I used this to develop my property screening spreadsheet.
  • "Loopholes of Real Estate" by Garrett Sutton (Rich Dad's Advisors series). Great multi-perspective view of property ownership.
  • "HOLD: How to Find, Buy, and Rent Houses for Wealth" by Steve Chader et al. Similar to "Loopholes" but with a more property acquisition lifecycle perspective.
  • "The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor" by Amanda Han. 

I generally buy the Kindle versions as I also commute and can sync to the Audible.com versions.