User Stats

Votes
Jack Murphy
Votes |
Railroad easement woes and factoring the risk into my analysis

Jack Murphy
Posted Jun 6 2023, 07:41

Hi BP community, 

This is my first post! I wish it were a happier one, but I'm hoping to gain some insight into a situation that I've been dealing with for the last ~5 months. I have the opportunity to purchase a property that would become a combo househack/BRRRR. The rental opportunity is strong, and since it's a fixer-upper I have the chance to buy at a discount.

The problem: there is a railroad adjacent to the property that I have to cross to access the house. There are three lots in total across this railroad access. There are no crossing bars or anything, just a road that crosses the tracks. After initially going under contract, the title search found that not one of the houses had a documented easement across the tracks. I completed a 2.5 month and $1,000 application to officially procure the easement, only to have my lender back out saying that it would be too risky for them to lend to me, given that if I were to default on the loan, they would be stuck with a property and potential issues with the railroad. They told me it didn't matter how much equity I had in the property, they would have backed out regardless. This has been a wildly frustrating ordeal, especially given that I went through all the steps to apply for the easement, per the lender's requirement, only for them to deny the loan. 

The situation now: the sellers are now open to seller financing. On one hand, this could become financially advantageous for me, because now we can make the terms of the loan (lower purchase price, interest rate, etc etc). That said, now I'm debating if this is even worth the risk. Does anyone have experience in this arena? How did you factor in the risk of dealing with the railroad access into your analysis? The numbers are sound in this property, but if it's going to turn into a massive headache, then is it worth it? The plan is to hold the property, but if I did end up wanting to sell, I'm going to go through to same scenario then. 

Helpful info: purchase price 125,000 (although I'll probably negotiate this down now). Needs ~50k reno. ARV ~200k, with rental potential of ~3.2k monthly. I would have to pay the railroad 1k per year and my insurance premium went from 900/year to 1500/year. Also, if the section of railroad that I cross needs maintenance, they can technically charge me for that maintenance. It was just serviced recently, so it shouldn't need anything for many years, but still a factor here.

I appreciate any and all knowledge/experience/advice. The numbers look nice on paper, but it would be a real bummer if this became my biggest headache. Thanks everyone! 

P.S. Maybe David Greene could add some insight here on one of his Listener Questions episodes??? Help a brother out! 

Loading replies...