Let’s Talk Deal Analysis – What Framework Do You Use to Underwrite a Deal?

Let’s Talk Deal Analysis – What Framework Do You Use to Underwrite a Deal?

Nathan P TannerPro Member
New to Real Estate · Bay Area California · Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 16 votes

Let’s Talk Deal Analysis – What Framework Do You Use to Underwrite a Deal?

Hey everyone 👋

I’ve been spending more time analyzing potential real estate deals and I want to get better at understanding how to properly underwrite a deal — beyond just using a calculator. I know BiggerPockets has a great tool for this, but I’m really interested in learning the why behind the numbers and building a deeper understanding of the process.

I'm in the Bay Area, California, so I know numbers and margins can look a lot different here compared to other markets — which is why I’d love to hear your approach.

Here’s what I’m trying to understand better:

- What framework do you use to analyze a deal?
-  What percentages or formulas do you rely on (e.g. rehab, holding costs, buffer, etc.)?
-  How do you account for fees, closing costs, holding costs, rehab, and other variables?
- What assumptions do you plug in (ARV, rent estimates, exit strategy)?
-  What are some things you wish you knew early on when you first started underwriting?

I want to move beyond “plug-and-play” calculators and start really learning what makes a deal work — especially in a high-cost market like the Bay.

If you’re open to sharing your thought process, tips, or even walking through an example deal, I’d really appreciate it. 

0Reply
11 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.