Bonded/Insured electrician making me pay more

Bonded/Insured electrician making me pay more

Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes

Good day all, asking for your expert opinion on how to deal with this situation....

We did a 1031 and bought a small SFH 720 sqft with converted garage- unpermitted (350 sqft). We have a Bonded/Insured electrician that was referred by our trusted GC (he also uses this electrician for his properties). Lots of things needed to be done: we want a subpanel for the converted garage, Some Knobs and tubes needs to be removed and rewired, put exterior light and outlet. I asked him to assess the attic so he can see knobs and tubes and he said "I think I know what I'll see there". He quoted us $10,400 We chose him because he was a referral although we asked several electricians for quotes. Initially was asking if this was negotiable as I wasnt sure if knobs and tubes were active, and he said he can lower it if its not active. Eventually I reached out saying it is active after speaking with inspector and that we'll move forward with the price he set.

Our GC is working on the crawlspace and advised us of several things: 1. There were wires hanging in the crawlspace that were unsafe and that it needs to be stapled in the joist, 2. The Subpanel that electrician installed was already used 3. was missing some parts/faceplates etc. and the front of the home didn't have power and so as the ADU.

I was upset and texted him about these things and we'll order an inspection since it looks like he is cutting corners.  By Tuesday Jul 29, he said we can order inspection and everything is settled. Electrical inspector will be available 8/9.

8/1/25 We checked the ADU, the subpanel was changed to NEW one, but more outlets in Kitchen and bathroom (all GFI) are dead. We told him about it and he said that the entire house was knobs and tubes and he will need another payment for that. At this point I dont want to hire him anymore, we paid 75% of all the fee. I talked to him on the phone and said that the quote itself says change Knobs and Tubes to cut and rewire. He is saying that the entire home is Knobs and tubes and it would cost double a lot of money, a lot of work.

I honestly do not want to pay the remaining  25% since the quote said to take care of the knobs and tubes and fix all, now he is asking for money for the kitchen. I just dont think it is fair. want to ask your opinion on how to deal with this?

He just keeps going back to the conversation we had saying "you said knobs and tubes are inactive" which I eventually said it is active after talking to the inspector and even sent him the inspection report. 

There was a contract, I have not signed it yet... Please advise.

Thanks a lot!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan H.Pro Member
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Catherine Javier:
Quote from @Dan H.:
Quote from @Catherine Javier:

Good day all, asking for your expert opinion on how to deal with this situation....

We did a 1031 and bought a small SFH 720 sqft with converted garage- unpermitted (350 sqft). We have a Bonded/Insured electrician that was referred by our trusted GC (he also uses this electrician for his properties). Lots of things needed to be done: we want a subpanel for the converted garage, Some Knobs and tubes needs to be removed and rewired, put exterior light and outlet. I asked him to assess the attic so he can see knobs and tubes and he said "I think I know what I'll see there". He quoted us $10,400 We chose him because he was a referral although we asked several electricians for quotes. Initially was asking if this was negotiable as I wasnt sure if knobs and tubes were active, and he said he can lower it if its not active. Eventually I reached out saying it is active after speaking with inspector and that we'll move forward with the price he set.

Our GC is working on the crawlspace and advised us of several things: 1. There were wires hanging in the crawlspace that were unsafe and that it needs to be stapled in the joist, 2. The Subpanel that electrician installed was already used 3. was missing some parts/faceplates etc. and the front of the home didn't have power and so as the ADU.

I was upset and texted him about these things and we'll order an inspection since it looks like he is cutting corners.  By Tuesday Jul 29, he said we can order inspection and everything is settled. Electrical inspector will be available 8/9.

8/1/25 We checked the ADU, the subpanel was changed to NEW one, but more outlets in Kitchen and bathroom (all GFI) are dead. We told him about it and he said that the entire house was knobs and tubes and he will need another payment for that. At this point I dont want to hire him anymore, we paid 75% of all the fee. I talked to him on the phone and said that the quote itself says change Knobs and Tubes to cut and rewire. He is saying that the entire home is Knobs and tubes and it would cost double a lot of money, a lot of work.

I honestly do not want to pay the remaining  25% since the quote said to take care of the knobs and tubes and fix all, now he is asking for money for the kitchen. I just dont think it is fair. want to ask your opinion on how to deal with this?

He just keeps going back to the conversation we had saying "you said knobs and tubes are inactive" which I eventually said it is active after talking to the inspector and even sent him the inspection report. 

There was a contract, I have not signed it yet... Please advise.

Thanks a lot!


 I unfortunately do not always follow this one myself 100% but hopefully you got the initial quote in writing including the work to be performed.   

I am only hearing your side of the story but from the description you are correct that he should be completing the job he signed up to at the price he quoted.  

Separate from that,  1) there is no excuse to use a used subpanel without getting
permission 2) there is no reason not to properly secure hung electrical wires (on the attic floor I am ok if they are not secured) 3) that there should not be missing cover plates.   I recently replaced a vent fan and somehow ended up without the junction box cover (long story on what can go wrong when training the handyman crew).  It is minor flaw in the attic, but it is not correct.   We did a trip to unit just to replace the junction box cover so that it is done right.   

Good luck


 Thanks Dan. And yes I kept the estimate, email and text. The estimate says "Remove and rewire knob and tube wiring in the main house". From my understanding that includes that entire house. Any advise on how we can handle him? I was thinking to email him that I am not going to pay the remaining balance unless everything is corrected... then again he was asking for money for the rewiring for the bathroom and kitchen... 


 I have concerns continuing to use your electrician.  What if the GC had not inspected the attic?  It may cost extra to change electricians.   However, if the quality of the past work is an indication, it may be worth the extra cost.


definitely do not make the final  payment until all work is completed correctly.  Is this work done with a permit and associated jurisdiction inspection? Consider that a rhetorical question.   If not, maybe your GC can check the work.  Regardless do not pay the final payment until after the completed work has been inspected by someone qualified to be able to determine that the job is done correctly.  

was the retiring for the bathroom and kitchen in the original quote or did you have a scope change?   If it was in the original scope my answer applies.   If it was a scope change, you should have received a 2nd quote for the scope change.   The 2nd contract contract is separate from the 1st.  Pay on it as though it is separate work (which it would be).  Pay final payment on it only after all the work is completed correctly.  By the way try to avoid change of scope.   The price is virtually always more than if it was included in the original scope of work.


good luck

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Catherine Javier:

    Good day all, asking for your expert opinion on how to deal with this situation....

    We did a 1031 and bought a small SFH 720 sqft with converted garage- unpermitted (350 sqft). We have a Bonded/Insured electrician that was referred by our trusted GC (he also uses this electrician for his properties). Lots of things needed to be done: we want a subpanel for the converted garage, Some Knobs and tubes needs to be removed and rewired, put exterior light and outlet. I asked him to assess the attic so he can see knobs and tubes and he said "I think I know what I'll see there". He quoted us $10,400 We chose him because he was a referral although we asked several electricians for quotes. Initially was asking if this was negotiable as I wasnt sure if knobs and tubes were active, and he said he can lower it if its not active. Eventually I reached out saying it is active after speaking with inspector and that we'll move forward with the price he set.

    Our GC is working on the crawlspace and advised us of several things: 1. There were wires hanging in the crawlspace that were unsafe and that it needs to be stapled in the joist, 2. The Subpanel that electrician installed was already used 3. was missing some parts/faceplates etc. and the front of the home didn't have power and so as the ADU.

    I was upset and texted him about these things and we'll order an inspection since it looks like he is cutting corners.  By Tuesday Jul 29, he said we can order inspection and everything is settled. Electrical inspector will be available 8/9.

    8/1/25 We checked the ADU, the subpanel was changed to NEW one, but more outlets in Kitchen and bathroom (all GFI) are dead. We told him about it and he said that the entire house was knobs and tubes and he will need another payment for that. At this point I dont want to hire him anymore, we paid 75% of all the fee. I talked to him on the phone and said that the quote itself says change Knobs and Tubes to cut and rewire. He is saying that the entire home is Knobs and tubes and it would cost double a lot of money, a lot of work.

    I honestly do not want to pay the remaining  25% since the quote said to take care of the knobs and tubes and fix all, now he is asking for money for the kitchen. I just dont think it is fair. want to ask your opinion on how to deal with this?

    He just keeps going back to the conversation we had saying "you said knobs and tubes are inactive" which I eventually said it is active after talking to the inspector and even sent him the inspection report. 

    There was a contract, I have not signed it yet... Please advise.

    Thanks a lot!


     I unfortunately do not always follow this one myself 100% but hopefully you got the initial quote in writing including the work to be performed.   

    I am only hearing your side of the story but from the description you are correct that he should be completing the job he signed up to at the price he quoted.  

    Separate from that,  1) there is no excuse to use a used subpanel without getting
    permission 2) there is no reason not to properly secure hung electrical wires (on the attic floor I am ok if they are not secured) 3) that there should not be missing cover plates.   I recently replaced a vent fan and somehow ended up without the junction box cover (long story on what can go wrong when training the handyman crew).  It is minor flaw in the attic, but it is not correct.   We did a trip to unit just to replace the junction box cover so that it is done right.   

    Good luck

    • Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @Catherine Javier:

      Good day all, asking for your expert opinion on how to deal with this situation....

      We did a 1031 and bought a small SFH 720 sqft with converted garage- unpermitted (350 sqft). We have a Bonded/Insured electrician that was referred by our trusted GC (he also uses this electrician for his properties). Lots of things needed to be done: we want a subpanel for the converted garage, Some Knobs and tubes needs to be removed and rewired, put exterior light and outlet. I asked him to assess the attic so he can see knobs and tubes and he said "I think I know what I'll see there". He quoted us $10,400 We chose him because he was a referral although we asked several electricians for quotes. Initially was asking if this was negotiable as I wasnt sure if knobs and tubes were active, and he said he can lower it if its not active. Eventually I reached out saying it is active after speaking with inspector and that we'll move forward with the price he set.

      Our GC is working on the crawlspace and advised us of several things: 1. There were wires hanging in the crawlspace that were unsafe and that it needs to be stapled in the joist, 2. The Subpanel that electrician installed was already used 3. was missing some parts/faceplates etc. and the front of the home didn't have power and so as the ADU.

      I was upset and texted him about these things and we'll order an inspection since it looks like he is cutting corners.  By Tuesday Jul 29, he said we can order inspection and everything is settled. Electrical inspector will be available 8/9.

      8/1/25 We checked the ADU, the subpanel was changed to NEW one, but more outlets in Kitchen and bathroom (all GFI) are dead. We told him about it and he said that the entire house was knobs and tubes and he will need another payment for that. At this point I dont want to hire him anymore, we paid 75% of all the fee. I talked to him on the phone and said that the quote itself says change Knobs and Tubes to cut and rewire. He is saying that the entire home is Knobs and tubes and it would cost double a lot of money, a lot of work.

      I honestly do not want to pay the remaining  25% since the quote said to take care of the knobs and tubes and fix all, now he is asking for money for the kitchen. I just dont think it is fair. want to ask your opinion on how to deal with this?

      He just keeps going back to the conversation we had saying "you said knobs and tubes are inactive" which I eventually said it is active after talking to the inspector and even sent him the inspection report. 

      There was a contract, I have not signed it yet... Please advise.

      Thanks a lot!


       I unfortunately do not always follow this one myself 100% but hopefully you got the initial quote in writing including the work to be performed.   

      I am only hearing your side of the story but from the description you are correct that he should be completing the job he signed up to at the price he quoted.  

      Separate from that,  1) there is no excuse to use a used subpanel without getting
      permission 2) there is no reason not to properly secure hung electrical wires (on the attic floor I am ok if they are not secured) 3) that there should not be missing cover plates.   I recently replaced a vent fan and somehow ended up without the junction box cover (long story on what can go wrong when training the handyman crew).  It is minor flaw in the attic, but it is not correct.   We did a trip to unit just to replace the junction box cover so that it is done right.   

      Good luck


       Thanks Dan. And yes I kept the estimate, email and text. The estimate says "Remove and rewire knob and tube wiring in the main house". From my understanding that includes that entire house. Any advise on how we can handle him? I was thinking to email him that I am not going to pay the remaining balance unless everything is corrected... then again he was asking for money for the rewiring for the bathroom and kitchen... 

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Catherine Javier:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @Catherine Javier:

      Good day all, asking for your expert opinion on how to deal with this situation....

      We did a 1031 and bought a small SFH 720 sqft with converted garage- unpermitted (350 sqft). We have a Bonded/Insured electrician that was referred by our trusted GC (he also uses this electrician for his properties). Lots of things needed to be done: we want a subpanel for the converted garage, Some Knobs and tubes needs to be removed and rewired, put exterior light and outlet. I asked him to assess the attic so he can see knobs and tubes and he said "I think I know what I'll see there". He quoted us $10,400 We chose him because he was a referral although we asked several electricians for quotes. Initially was asking if this was negotiable as I wasnt sure if knobs and tubes were active, and he said he can lower it if its not active. Eventually I reached out saying it is active after speaking with inspector and that we'll move forward with the price he set.

      Our GC is working on the crawlspace and advised us of several things: 1. There were wires hanging in the crawlspace that were unsafe and that it needs to be stapled in the joist, 2. The Subpanel that electrician installed was already used 3. was missing some parts/faceplates etc. and the front of the home didn't have power and so as the ADU.

      I was upset and texted him about these things and we'll order an inspection since it looks like he is cutting corners.  By Tuesday Jul 29, he said we can order inspection and everything is settled. Electrical inspector will be available 8/9.

      8/1/25 We checked the ADU, the subpanel was changed to NEW one, but more outlets in Kitchen and bathroom (all GFI) are dead. We told him about it and he said that the entire house was knobs and tubes and he will need another payment for that. At this point I dont want to hire him anymore, we paid 75% of all the fee. I talked to him on the phone and said that the quote itself says change Knobs and Tubes to cut and rewire. He is saying that the entire home is Knobs and tubes and it would cost double a lot of money, a lot of work.

      I honestly do not want to pay the remaining  25% since the quote said to take care of the knobs and tubes and fix all, now he is asking for money for the kitchen. I just dont think it is fair. want to ask your opinion on how to deal with this?

      He just keeps going back to the conversation we had saying "you said knobs and tubes are inactive" which I eventually said it is active after talking to the inspector and even sent him the inspection report. 

      There was a contract, I have not signed it yet... Please advise.

      Thanks a lot!


       I unfortunately do not always follow this one myself 100% but hopefully you got the initial quote in writing including the work to be performed.   

      I am only hearing your side of the story but from the description you are correct that he should be completing the job he signed up to at the price he quoted.  

      Separate from that,  1) there is no excuse to use a used subpanel without getting
      permission 2) there is no reason not to properly secure hung electrical wires (on the attic floor I am ok if they are not secured) 3) that there should not be missing cover plates.   I recently replaced a vent fan and somehow ended up without the junction box cover (long story on what can go wrong when training the handyman crew).  It is minor flaw in the attic, but it is not correct.   We did a trip to unit just to replace the junction box cover so that it is done right.   

      Good luck


       Thanks Dan. And yes I kept the estimate, email and text. The estimate says "Remove and rewire knob and tube wiring in the main house". From my understanding that includes that entire house. Any advise on how we can handle him? I was thinking to email him that I am not going to pay the remaining balance unless everything is corrected... then again he was asking for money for the rewiring for the bathroom and kitchen... 


       I have concerns continuing to use your electrician.  What if the GC had not inspected the attic?  It may cost extra to change electricians.   However, if the quality of the past work is an indication, it may be worth the extra cost.


      definitely do not make the final  payment until all work is completed correctly.  Is this work done with a permit and associated jurisdiction inspection? Consider that a rhetorical question.   If not, maybe your GC can check the work.  Regardless do not pay the final payment until after the completed work has been inspected by someone qualified to be able to determine that the job is done correctly.  

      was the retiring for the bathroom and kitchen in the original quote or did you have a scope change?   If it was in the original scope my answer applies.   If it was a scope change, you should have received a 2nd quote for the scope change.   The 2nd contract contract is separate from the 1st.  Pay on it as though it is separate work (which it would be).  Pay final payment on it only after all the work is completed correctly.  By the way try to avoid change of scope.   The price is virtually always more than if it was included in the original scope of work.


      good luck

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    @Catherine Javier You wrote:        "There was a contract, I have not signed it yet"

    i would say honor our agreement or I will not pay the 25%.  Without a contract I don't think the contractor has much ground to stand on as far as collecting the 25%. On the other hand you don't have much ground to force him to finish. I would just move on with a new electrician. 

    Is it fair if you wind up paying more in total by using another electrician? No. But does that matter? No it is just one of the risks of real estate. 

    • Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Ned Carey:

      @Catherine Javier You wrote:        "There was a contract, I have not signed it yet"

      i would say honor our agreement or I will not pay the 25%.  Without a contract I don't think the contractor has much ground to stand on as far as collecting the 25%. On the other hand you don't have much ground to force him to finish. I would just move on with a new electrician. 

      Is it fair if you wind up paying more in total by using another electrician? No. But does that matter? No it is just one of the risks of real estate. 

      Hi @Ned Carey and @Dan H.thanks for your input..
      Was reading the contract and it seems like both parties did not sign any contract. Will that have any effect on our situation?



      was the retiring for the bathroom and kitchen in the original quote or did you have a scope change? If it was in the original scope my answer applies. If it was a scope change, you should have received a 2nd quote for the scope change-"Quote says main house, I asked him to assess the attic and the panel but he said 'i think I'll know what i'll see in the attic'. No second quote was given. He kept circling back to the email that I told him that there was no active knob and tube. Which I said initially but then corrected myself that it is active per inspector, also through email. I also sent him an inspection report. 




      By the way try to avoid change of scope. The price is virtually always more than if it was included in the original scope of work.  - Thank you so much for this tip. These simple things are very helpful. 



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.