Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 7 votes
I know of a very nice property in my area that is owned by someone who apparently has no motivation to sell, and yet this house sits vacant and abandoned, and is being assessed fees for maintenance by the City. It's been empty now for years, and is starting to show signs of being neglected. I don't know the owner's personal situation, but I've learned that she is not interested in selling and has been approached multiple times by individuals and the neighborhood. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? I'd like to contact the owner, but I wonder what the approach should be. Any insight is appreciated.
Residential Real Estate Broker · La Crosse, WI · Member since 2013 · 360 posts · 110 votes
11y
I'd approach her and ask her questions. Did she live there, why did she leave, did she like living there, was it a relatives home? Keep asking her questions from her answers. Try the approach of not having a script. Let her talk and her motivation might come out. Try the approach of not asking her to sell. Come with the attitude of helping her out, and the right approach will pop up.
Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
11y
follow up with marketing letters,when she gets tired of paying taxes and bills associated with an empty house you want to be the person she calls. good luck @DuWayne Jones
Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y
Is this a good use of your time? Will you feel good that you've worked hard to convince her against her will?
Personally, I'd just ask her if there's anything that you can do to help her with the house while she still has it and paying the taxes. She might reveal more about her real situation.