Votes
Pavs Doychev
  • Waterford, MI
Votes |
20 Years old bought 3 investment home with a full time job of 60+ hours weekly

Pavs Doychev
  • Waterford, MI
Posted Aug 4 2015, 22:07

As a new member to Bigger Pockets this is my first post about my self. 3 homes by the age of 20.... Hopefully 20 homes by the age of 25 as a goal.  Having a full time job in the transportation industry with a busy job of 60+ hours.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Harris
  • Property Manager
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Aug 11 2015, 18:24

Hey great story just curious how you actually started you saved money from work I mean at 20 years old there isn't much time in the work field how are you paying for and managing rehabs? Hard money ? Savings? Loan? Thanks in advance 

User Stats

Votes
Pavs Doychev
  • Waterford, MI
Votes |
  • Waterford, MI
Replied Aug 11 2015, 19:48

I don't really know about financing, I tried to get a equity loan for a property,  that I couldn't afford, I had the first two houses all paid and tried to get a loan for a third one that I liked in a very good area of town.  I tried with Chase Bank but never got passed talking to the banker, Do to the fact I didn't live in any of the houses they couldn't help me out with a equity loan.

Thank you for the support from everyone on here. I wish I knew about this forum from the start of my adventure.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bert Umbreit
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 11 2015, 22:26

I'm  very proud of you!

User Stats

Votes
John Shortridge
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, TN
Replied Aug 12 2015, 09:11

@Pavs Doychev

Great story. I think we are all impressed by your success. 

So, when you said you don't know about financing, does this mean you purchased all theses deals & renovations with cash? 

Also I know a few other members have mentioned this... how did you go about managing the rehabs while working full time? That is very impressive. You said the one you bought in March 2014 is still being work on?

User Stats

Votes
Eila Ak
  • vancouver, bc
Votes |
  • vancouver, bc
Replied Aug 12 2015, 12:07

good for you man!

I live in Vancouver BC ...Canada and home prices here are insanely expensive,  for 400k you get a 2 bedroom condo!

With that being said, i am excited to start in real estate via foreclosure process.

Easy

User Stats

Votes
Brett S.
  • Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Aug 12 2015, 20:07
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Great story.  How even 1 house is possible with a full time-job of 60 hours a week is beyond me.  Everything and anything will require multiple phone calls, mistakes from contractors, clarifications, etc.  And once you pick up the phone all off a sudden you'll have 5 people by your desk for work-related issues...and not to mention your boss who would love to know who's on the end of that phone call.  But hey.  That's my opinion.  As to your original post, congrats!!

I've got enough houses to generate $20k gross per month, I work 60+ per week and I live overseas without a property manager. 

When I started in this business I was working 55 hours and going to night school for 20+ hours for my Mba. Also had no property manager. 

You never know what you can or can't do until you try. 

Account Closed
  • Rotonda West, FL
Votes |
  • Rotonda West, FL
Replied Aug 12 2015, 20:19
Originally posted by @Brett S.:
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Great story.  How even 1 house is possible with a full time-job of 60 hours a week is beyond me.  Everything and anything will require multiple phone calls, mistakes from contractors, clarifications, etc.  And once you pick up the phone all off a sudden you'll have 5 people by your desk for work-related issues...and not to mention your boss who would love to know who's on the end of that phone call.  But hey.  That's my opinion.  As to your original post, congrats!!

I've got enough houses to generate $20k gross per month, I work 60+ per week and I live overseas without a property manager. 

When I started in this business I was working 55 hours and going to night school for 20+ hours for my Mba. Also had no property manager. 

Thanks Brett, good point.  Everyone's experiences are going to be different, and having a positive attitude helps.  From the few experiences I had, getting a Certificate of Occupancy took so much out of me with all the phone calls and arguments and incompetence that I just got a bad taste in my mouth.  But it's not the right way to think about it, I agree.  It's important to forget the bad experiences and look forward to good ones.

User Stats

Votes
Leon Cumberbatch
  • Norcross, GA
Votes |
  • Norcross, GA
Replied Aug 12 2015, 20:29

Hey Pavs,

I am inspired by your story, I would like to know did how you come across such good deals. 

User Stats

Votes
Pavs Doychev
  • Waterford, MI
Votes |
  • Waterford, MI
Replied Aug 12 2015, 21:40

Today I will post some pictures of house two and three I got a new phone about six months ago and have no pictures of house one.

House two: This is after putting a roof, two weeks after purchase

House three:

This is the main bathroom on the main floor

This is the main kitchen

This is the kitchen in the basement ( sorry its a bad picture)

Two weeks after buying the house, The contractor took the old plywood of to replace it and found this (don't know if it works yet)

As far as how I got here... In high school as a freshman I was buying and selling cars. At the end of my freshman year I had saved 13+/- k  I took that money and had it doubled in savings by my senior year. Then got a job as a dispatcher at a company that my father worked at. learned a lot about the business and now work full time in the transportation/supply chain industry. This is my first semester I'm not doing school. As of next semester I will be a part time student at a local college. Only thing I can say is spend less then what you make. Working a lot doesn't really give you time to spend money.

User Stats

Votes
Ruth Bayang
  • Investor
  • Kent, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kent, WA
Replied Aug 12 2015, 23:34

Way to go! I envy you for starting so young... good for you. I had no knowledge of passive or residual income until my mid 30's. Soon, you'll be able to kiss your 60+ hour job goodbye!

User Stats

Votes
Tim Puffer
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
  • Lansing, MI
Replied Aug 13 2015, 03:09

Those are nice houses! Definitely great for rental properties. What area are they located in?

User Stats

Votes
Chad Willmore
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Davison, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Davison, MI
Replied Aug 13 2015, 03:26

This is very smart and you are in a great area to do this.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Palmer
  • Utah
Votes |

Sounds like you have a lot of trust, but how do you handle things like check in/out, inspections, showings, etc. without a property manager? I assume you are managing yourself and just hiring out some of the things you and/or a manager would do? 

User Stats

Votes
Brett S.
  • Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Aug 13 2015, 18:02
Originally posted by @Mike Palmer:

Sounds like you have a lot of trust, but how do you handle things like check in/out, inspections, showings, etc. without a property manager? I assume you are managing yourself and just hiring out some of the things you and/or a manager would do? 

it's all about team. My realtor does everything you note above. Actual day to day property management ("fix my toilet") is handled with an email to me from the tenant and an email to the plumber from me. 

User Stats

Votes
Melvin Morales
  • Commercial Carpenter
  • Tri- State, NJ
Votes |
  • Commercial Carpenter
  • Tri- State, NJ
Replied Aug 16 2015, 20:16
Originally posted by @Pavs Doychev:

As a new member to Bigger Pockets this is my first post about my self. 3 homes by the age of 20.... Hopefully 20 homes by the age of 25 as a goal.  Having a full time job in the transportation industry with a busy job of 60+ hours.

That's great, ongratulations Pavs!

User Stats

Votes
Isaac Antoine
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied Sep 10 2015, 14:30

congrats! Persistence pays off & im sure you'll have more than 20 by the time you're 25. How did you acquire your property? Did you purchase these homes through off market listings? 

User Stats

Votes
Pavs Doychev
  • Waterford, MI
Votes |
  • Waterford, MI
Replied Sep 10 2015, 22:58

My first house was on the MLS listed as a short sale, it sat on the market for a while before I looked at it.

The second house was listed on a auction website for a short period of time.

Third house also hit a auction site but only for one day. 

I've been extremely lucky. Honestly waiting for the right deal is what I've learned from the first couple of purchases. Don't rush it.Lol sounds stupid but wait for it. I remember looking at ten houses a day and nothing ever worked out for me. I stopped looking,  my agents calls me when he sees something that I would like and out of three houses one is a deal. I find it very important to make sure your agent knows what you like and don't. 

User Stats

Votes
Shannon Wells
  • Mcdonough, GA
Votes |
  • Mcdonough, GA
Replied Sep 12 2015, 08:09

I am young like you (19) I have no clue how to get started in this whole process. You inspire me, and I would love to know step by step what you did to get started. Also , I am in school working a part-time job so I do have a very small income coming in. I am willing to save and invest as much as it takes. As you can tell, this is a cry for advice.

-Shannon