• Salem, MA
Votes |
Massachusetts Rental Investing

Colby Mulry
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salem, MA
Posted Jan 20 2016, 15:52

Hi there, 

Has anyone had true success in the rental market in MA? It seems as though there are two ends of the spectrum, the very expensive million dollar multi families near Boston, or the 100k multi families in the Worcester area and not many in between. 

Has anyone started from nothing and become successful? I am having a hard time getting over the realization that these properties are vastly different in terms of price, and the lower cost homes/areas are just too much of a hassle to invest in. 

Any thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Aramis Jordan
  • Fitchburg, MA
Votes |
  • Fitchburg, MA
Replied Jan 20 2016, 16:00

I invest in the north Worcester area and been successful 

I try to get two or three multi family units, 3s are better for cash flow but since I buy to fix and flip u have to watch how much u spend since the cities make u ad sprinklers 

And that can get costly and zero return

My rents range from 700 to 1000 for 2 to 3bedroom units

My cost percent unit has to be below 60-65k

So far I have 6 units and adding 

User Stats

Votes
Aramis Jordan
  • Fitchburg, MA
Votes |
  • Fitchburg, MA
Replied Jan 20 2016, 16:01

ps I have friends with over 50 units in Boston but numbers are different 200-300 and 2-3k in rents 

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Wilkinson
  • Investor
  • Salisbury, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Salisbury, MA
Replied Jan 20 2016, 21:08

there are lots of suburban towns you might find are more in the middle. Framingham and Marlboro typically have multis that are not dumps, yet don't break the bank. 

User Stats

Votes
Rob L.
  • Haverhill, MA
Votes |
  • Haverhill, MA
Replied Jan 21 2016, 13:20

It certainly can be done. We added 2 properties to our portfolio last year. Both were value add plays. It was a lot easier to find deals 2-3 years ago but there still out there. You just need to be willing to put in the work. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hurney
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jan 21 2016, 16:44

@Colby Mulry Welcome.

We all started from scratch, maybe a lot longer ago for some;-)

I haven't added any rentals in a year but I also do Buy-Fixup-Sells.

Right now I'm investing out of state and in a Business I see which as very profitable.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Couture
  • West Springfield, MA
Votes |
  • West Springfield, MA
Replied Jan 22 2016, 15:29

Western Mass has good cash flow in and around Springfield. There are many areas of Springfield to stay clear of though. PM me if you are interested in seeing some examples. We also wholesaled a house in Worcestor to an investor and they did great as a rental.

User Stats

Votes
Khalid Hasnaoui
  • Investor
  • Dedham, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dedham, MA
Replied Jan 22 2016, 15:29

There are still good opportunities in the Worceter area.

it is very hard to get good cash flow in the cities surrounding Boston.

User Stats

Votes
Chad Duval
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston
Replied Jan 23 2016, 14:40

Build a network. Hustle. Take action. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Coleman
  • Quincy, MA
Votes |
  • Quincy, MA
Replied Jan 23 2016, 14:51

Hey Colby!

I live in Quincy, but work the Worcester market mostly. There are a lot of great opportunities out there. There are a lot of great listings you could get in low, as well as make some pretty descent coin in rent. Especially with all the colleges sporadically throughout the area.

Also if you're up for a very low buy in, you could look into a "fix n flip" lending program. It covers 80% purchase, as well as 90% "fix" costs. A lot of short sales out there. If you have any questions about the program don't hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck!

-Ryan

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Agbon
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 25 2016, 08:17

Hi Colby,

I also live in Quincy MA, for me it's not the price that is the determining factor, rather the (ROI) return on investment. Yes the Boston now seems over priced due to very high demand, those that can afford to live in Boston and Cambridge ends up looking for places to rent or buy in the towns close to Boston. These towns close to Boston are the ones I focused on. My target tenants are young professionals and post-grad students. So far, this has worked fine for me.

I have a rental property in Quincy, and a multifamily house in Dorchester, I made sure both are close to public transportation (very important in rent pricing). 

I would also suggest that you familiarize yourself with the BP Calculator tools, these would come in very handy in your business decision process.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hurney
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jan 25 2016, 10:50

@Jerry Agbon and you're probably only looking at 1 or 2 bedroom units if you're going for young professionals around Boston, near transportation?

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Agbon
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 25 2016, 11:42

@Mike Hurney  Yes and no... 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms. 1and 2 bedrooms preferable in the Quincy area close to the red line T station. While in Dorchester 3 bedrooms is in higher demand. 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
David Cahill
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jan 25 2016, 15:33

Agree on Dorchester opportunities! I have one and am planning on more this year. Good ROI and with 5 Red Line stations, there are plenty of areas close to the T.

David

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Dang
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jan 25 2016, 16:24

Colby,

I start from scratch, recently add few more triplex in   Dorchester, three bed room rent for more than 2k.

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hurteau
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Boston, MA
Replied Jan 26 2016, 10:53

@Jerry Agbon - nice advice! when you say ROI, are you referring to the time it takes to recoup your initial investment (in years/months)?

@Mike Hurney - we've got a couple 4BR rentals in dorchester near Ashmont and have been successful in finding market rate tenants, also professionals/grad students.

@Colby Mulry - if you have yet to buy a house, you can qualify for a number of first time home buyer programs and increase your ROI (we calculate this in terms of years based on before-tax cash flow) due to lower down payment requirements. it is difficult, if not impossible, to find something on the market, so you may need to look into various ways to get off market properties. you can network with others and let them know what you're looking for so if they get a lead that doesn't meet their criteria, you can be the first to know.

we are building up a list now, so feel free to send me a PM with your criteria/locations - we currently send marketing materials and get off-market leads in Dorchester, South Boston, and Somerville.  We will continue to expand our marketing over the coming years to other locations in the GBA.

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Agbon
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jan 26 2016, 12:28

@Ray Hurteau By ROI, I meant the monthly cash flow after all expenses have been paid for.