Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
Craftsman Full Gut & 2nd Story Addition!

Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Posted Feb 6 2016, 15:08

Howdy!  This isn't "My" deal, but I get to be directly involved, and part of the process.  I am working part time with an HVAC contractor who has started remodeling 100 year old houses as a "hobby".  It doesn't make him the margin some accomplished flippers achieve here, but what they do with these houses is amazing!

This particular house was purchased for cash.  He has an agent that he works with (sadly before I got my license) whom he asked to door-knock about this house.  Sure enough, the owners were old and ready to sell.  It was in really rough shape.  Nearly every surface in the house will need to be touched, and in some cases gutted down to the dirt.  I will post lots of pics along the way.

The house was purchased at the end of last year.  I've been involved since the 2nd week of January, working in Sketchup to model the house as is existed, then work up plans for the new layout.  So plumbers, framers, the city, etc. will have what they need.  Meeting with the project manager, owner & his wife nearly daily to talk about options and changes, and take pics of te transformation. 

Getting paid to learn Sketchup on the fly, and learn the ins and outs of a ground-up full gut renovation along the way!  

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Jan 15 2017, 21:17
Originally posted by @Julie Marquez:

@Shane Woods Great progress and thanks for sharing it all! 

I'm interested in your foundation work. Did you have to take up all the sub floors? What corrections were made to the foundation itself? I love to hear some more details as I am working on some floor leveling issues in my own project.

Hey Julie,

Somewhere in the pictures you should be able to see dirt. Here's the short version:

Partially demo'd, house was literally separating in the middle, and typical roller coaster pier & beam. We ripped out all the sub floor & hired a foundation company to level it. We TOLD THEM we would be adding a 2nd story, and to accommodate for that in their work. $3800 in materials and labor later, with several return trips, it still wasn't going to work. We finally paid them just to get them to go away. We spent another $10K or so in materials and our own labor to do it right. All new joists, lots of extra support under, replacing many of the main beams, or at least supporting them. Then all new sub-floor. Most of that cost is labor.

Because we had to rip out what that company did, we were in total about $14K on foundation. Would have been about $8-10K if we just did it ourselves from the beginning.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Jan 15 2017, 21:21
Originally posted by @Davido Davido:

@Shane Woods,  Thank you Shane.  That is a project to be proud of.  Some good team work there.  I like how you guys used the project to purchase a dump trailer instead of bringing in dumpsters, and you did a super job reusing the original wood.  Best wishes!

Thanks!

Selling the reclaimed wood we didn't use (tons, literally), original doors, original windows, and a few other items we found in the house almost paid for the dump trailer! It's amazing what some people will pay for reclaimed "house parts".

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Jan 15 2017, 21:28
Originally posted by @Paul Ashworth:

Just wondering, is there any physical connection from the concrete foundation blocks to the cylindrical concrete posts to the new / existing wood framing? In the pictures above it doesn't appear so. The "city" allowed this?

Good catch. Wood framed beams sitting on concrete piers, sitting on concrete pads (pilings). Leveled with metal shims. No further "attachment". I asked the same question: Wait, that's just SITTING on there? And that's SAFE? Here's the answer I was given:

These 100 year old houses have been literally sitting on concrete pilings for 100 years. And haven't gone anywhere. The house was still standing, and lived in prior to demo. As long as you're not completely tearing down and building new, the project can be classified as a remodel. Existing foundation system can be reused. Just needs to be repaired and able to support the weight of the house, with components and design typical to this style of house. City will inspect and sign off, or order further work.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Marquez
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Skagit County, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Skagit County, WA
Replied Jan 16 2017, 09:35

@Shane Woods Thanks for the explanation. Foundation works scares me a little, especially the $40k + bids, soils and structural issues, and all the other unknowns. I'm glad you guys figured it out for yourselves, it sounds like the sub was not helpful at all! Was there any perimeter spread footings, or all just post and pier? Do you have powder post beetle issues in your area?

User Stats

Votes
Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Replied Jan 30 2017, 21:00
Originally posted by @Julie Marquez:

@Shane Woods Thanks for the explanation. Foundation works scares me a little, especially the $40k + bids, soils and structural issues, and all the other unknowns. I'm glad you guys figured it out for yourselves, it sounds like the sub was not helpful at all! Was there any perimeter spread footings, or all just post and pier? Do you have powder post beetle issues in your area?

All Wood Beams on Concrete Pilings & Concrete Piers