Philadelphia Engineer venturing into REI, starting in low income.

Philadelphia Engineer venturing into REI, starting in low income.

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 58 votes

Hello friends with bigger pockets,

I am looking for feedback on the next step in my investment strategy and was hoping you could help. I am a young engineer who wants to be safe or smart with my money. Not afraid of doing the work other than structural, electrical and major plumbing. Both positive and negative feedback are extremely valuable to me so please comment! 

Here goes. I saved saved saved and bought a 2nd home outright. This is in a low income area, cost was 28k + 4k to fix it, now I'm in it for 32k, comps are ~40k. Rent is already coming in strong at $750/month with tenants who want to stick around. 

Once rented I immediately applied for a HELOC on this property. I'm waiting on the line of credit and searching for rental property #2; in the 30k-40k range after repairs.

First question. Once #2 is up and rented. I could pay off the HELOC in 2 years but that would require me to allocate 100% of the cashflow from both houses. Is this a bad move? My thought is I then will have 2 places, take a bigger HELOC and grow.

2nd question. When do I protect myself with a LLC?

Finally, Please share wins and losses in low income areas. The cashflow is great! I think the hardest part about low income is finding good tenants. Can a cost be associated to that? Also, I'm aiming for big streets, or transportation hubs (subway station, train stops, etc). I think this is my best shot at keeping the cash flowing while having the best odds of appreciating. 

Thanks everyone!

-Matt 

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Oak Island, NC · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    1:

    Without knowing the details, I would probably choose to simply get a HELOC on the new property as soon as possible. I wouldn't wait to pay off the first before expanding. Ultimately, it would depend upon the particulars of your situation. I'm not sure how adept with Excel you are, but I would suggest modelling both situations and seeing where you end up at the end of your two-year period. Maybe also do some projections for larger time-frames.

    2:

    This question is probably BEST answered by YOUR attorney or CPA.  Personally, I think protection is always a good thing, but it could create some difficulties when it comes to financing, depending upon the institution.

    3:

    What kind of engineer are you?

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 58 votes
    10y

    Hi Ryan,

    Thanks for responding! I did buy the first place outright, and my app for the HELOC is in. I'm talking about once I buy the second property using the HELOC. My two scenarios are...

    1.) Pay the HELOC down to zero over 2 years, saving no cash... and then have 2 outright properties. Then take a HELOC on both properties to buy #3.

    or

    2.) Pay min (or more) on the HELOC, and save cash for property #3.

    I agree, I could model this in excel. I was hoping someone already analyzed one or the other. 

    I am a chemical engineer. 

    -Matt

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.