• Investor
  • Libertyville, IL
Votes |
Long time Vacant property.....how to get ahold of owner

Kevin Stalbaum
  • Investor
  • Libertyville, IL
Posted Aug 26 2016, 20:05
There is a SFH in the subdivision my in laws live that I drive by almost daily taking my daughter to grandmas. The house has been unoccupied/vacant for at least 3 years. Multiple village notices posted on the door for tall grass, repairs, etc. I looked up the status of the property tax bill and taxes are always paid before due date. Tax bill goes to the owners to a separate address (PO box in same town). I mailed a yellow hand written letter but came back undeliverable. What are next a steps people take when trying to contact owners? This house is absolutely the ugliest house in the neighborhood and is ripe for an investor. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
James Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Snohomish, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Snohomish, WA
Replied Aug 26 2016, 20:29

Skip trace for the owners?  No idea how much that would cost.  

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Aug 26 2016, 20:35

@James Miller  what is a skip trace and how to go about it? I have a similar case with the house next door.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
James Miller
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Snohomish, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Snohomish, WA
Replied Aug 27 2016, 14:53

Skip tracing is using a database usually accessed by a private investigator to find some ones location.  You may want to ask on the forum to see if any one has had any luck using a paid search database instead of going to a pi.  I haven't used one yet to find any one but I know it's possible.  The more info you have ie age, address the better the results you will have.