Preet Bains
  • oakland, CA
Votes |
Triplex Bay Area

Preet Bains
  • oakland, CA
Posted Nov 1 2016, 23:04

Have been looking at a triplex in Oakland, CA, the details are:

- One 3 bd 2 ba with 2 car parking and deck. Entire 2nd floor. Currently rents for $2,400.

- Two 2 bd 1 ba with 3 parking spots between them. One unit rents for $1.4k and the other unit comes vacant.

I toured the property and it was a great property on the surface. All the units you could rent today with no to little work. If you had extra funds, you could definitely throw $15-35k into some updates based on your needs and wants.

So why this property is attractive to me is the income potential. As an owner occupant in Oakland I can give notice to the existing tenant (this would be difficult or impossible if you were just an investor) in the 3 bd unit and rent that to myself for market which is $4k (I pay $3.6k for a 3 bd 2 ba condo down the street with 2 parking spots in Oakland currently with my brother and this place is much larger and overall better location wise. $4k is conservative to be honest, place could probably go for $4.3k-4.5k.). That is $19.2k in additional potential income right off the bat! Another benefit of being an owner occupant is the building is no longer subject to rent control. The 2 bd unit which is renting for $1.4k could easily be rented for $2.6k (I lived in a 2 bd 1 ba unit down the street last year and paid $2.4k, when I left he rented it for $2.6k. These units are slightly superior based on square footage and parking.). This is another potential $14.4k! Combined income increase of $33.6k per year by taking advantage of owning a small income property!! 

I talked to the agent and got in contact with the mortgage folks. Long story short, we (my brother and I who both work w2 jobs in the Bay Area) can qualify for a low down payment mortgage through various banks in the area without doing the whole FHA route. It's a competitive market I understand but there are now some properties sitting on the market with price reductions. The mortgage payment for the property at 3.5% down, purchase price of $1.3M, would be $6.7k with PMI. Monthly income of $9.4k. Currently working on gathering other expenses but about $3k in wiggle room, seems like this could cash flow in the Bay Area.

Enough from me. What do you guys think? Happy to share additional info

Loading replies...