North Carolina move with family and new job

North Carolina move with family and new job

Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 2 votes

I'm looking to move to North Carolina with in the next nine months and would like know how is the housing market.  Also what in the best place to raise a family. I'm looking to make some real estate investments before I make the move. If anyone can offer any advice on tha state of North Carolina am all ears.

Thank you 

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
9y

When I was younger and fresh out of college I liked Charlotte more than Raleigh, but I would much rather raise a family in Raleigh. I have lived in Raleigh basically my whole life (I'm the rare person born in Raleigh) and even if I look at things objectively I am not sure there is a place I'd rather live. The economy is so diverse our risk of a major localized recessions is much lower than Charlotte (too concentrated in banking). The government will always be here, we have major universities, tech, banking, pharmaceuticals, and more. While any one of those could crash at any time (well not the government/universities hah)  it is hard to imagine a scenario where they all do at once.

I am biased as a born and raised Raleigh citizen, but there is a reason everyone moves here and never leaves (I-95 must be a one way road for moving trucks...who knew?) I know a ton of families where 1 person moved down here, other people came to visit, and then they moved here too! 

One other thing I have noticed, but it might be a sample size. My friends who moved to Charlotte after college lived in the city proper for a few years, but when they got married or bought a house they moved to suburbs like Hunterville, Pineville, and others I forget the names of. The vast majority of my Raleigh friends, myself included, are still in Raleigh proper. 

I am not sure if that is a reflection of the Charlotte school quality, the real estate market, or what, but I like that I actually live in Raleigh proper.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris PuckettPro Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Kannapolis, NC · Member since 2014 · 68 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Hey @Adonte Lipsconb I can speak for the Charlotte metro area. Investment wise buy and hold market is strong because of rental rates provide a great ROI. Flips seem to be few and far between mainly because investors have dried up the foreclosure pool. Hope that helps a little. Shoot me a message if you want to chat. Welcome to NC!

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Raleigh was THE best place in 2014  ;)

    http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45edgee/no-1-raleigh-nc/#2e7f59bb3f9e

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    @Adonte Lipsconb

    Read the longer BP post from Steven Songleton regarding investments in Raleigh at https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/55/topics/369...

    In my honest opinion, Cary, North, West, and Northwest Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Southwest Durham, and Chapel Hill are the nicest areas of the Raleigh-Durham Metro to live in, but that also means you'll pay premium pricing. If you want to buy for appreciation speculation, but inside the beltline, East Raleigh, South Raleigh, Southeast Raleigh, Pittsboro, and Garner, although parts of Garner are really nice and a great suburb to Raleigh as well, so in some cases you'll pay a premium.

    I've lived in Charlotte, Virginia Beach and other parts of Virginia, Chicago, and the coast of NC, and I can tell you that Raleigh has the most sound and balanced economy than any of those places. Right now, this isn't a great market for flipping, but it's great for but and hold. If you're interested in flipping, I recommend parts of Ohio that are hot for that right now and the Atlanta area.

    Good choice in picking Raleigh! There's a lot to offer here!

    Jonathan   

  • Licensed Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Adonte Lipsconb  Best of luck with the relocation to NC. My opinion the best city in NC is Charlotte, and for you coming from a big city like Miami it would be easier transition. Its a becoming one of the nations best cities. It has a great downtown; clean downtown, new and expanding light rail system, major sports teams, arts. Raleigh has the benefit of being the capital, several universities and the Research Triangle. The coast and mountains are smaller communities. 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Raleigh also has major league hockey, soccer, roller derby, minor league baseball, and college basketball galore. The Triangke is March Madness for NC. Durham has the most awards for restaurants in the state with many nationally recognized. 

    Charlotte could be an easier transition in terms of population and infrastructure, but not necessarily in terms of personal interest, and culture. 

    Both are great choices depending on what you're looking for. 

    As a career choice, I think Raleigh is better, because of the consistent growth constantly offering added opportunity. Charlotte is more established in this sense, so I think Raleigh's trajectory is closing the gap with respect to Charlotte, although a slow one. We are expecting light rail also, between Durham, Chaoel Hill, and Raleigh.

    I think the reason people are moving here is, because while the costs of living are climbing, they are still lower in relation to other larger cities, but offer a more sustainable career path by transitioning here during this window of time to establish yourself before the economic boom in this area slows down.

  • Investor · Lake Norman/Mooresville, NC · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Breed:

    @Adonte Lipsconb  Best of luck with the relocation to NC. My opinion the best city in NC is Charlotte, and for you coming from a big city like Miami it would be easier transition. Its a becoming one of the nations best cities. It has a great downtown; clean downtown, new and expanding light rail system, major sports teams, arts. Raleigh has the benefit of being the capital, several universities and the Research Triangle. The coast and mountains are smaller communities. 

     I co-sign all of this. Well said. NC in a nutshell.

  • Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I'll chime in being that I am born and raised in Miami, but lived in Charlotte for a several years. 

    Charlotte is certainly a nice city that provides all the benefits of a big city without some of the downsides such as terrible traffic and super expensive living costs. Downtown is clean and growing at a fair pace. There are plenty of jobs and I believe its a great place to raise a family. You'll definitely miss out culturally and the night life, but if those things don't interest you it's a better place overall to live in than Miami. People are nice, you get all the seasons overall a win win in my books. 

    I'm back in Miami for personal reasons, but would consider going back to Charlotte with the right circumstances.

  • Wholesaler · Raleigh/Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I personally love North Raleigh! My family and I lived there for 3 years. The people are friendly and it was convenient to shopping, physician, lifetime fitness, entertainment, banking etc. All was within 5 -10 minutes of travel time. 

    I think you will love Raleigh, there is always new events! 

    To your Success!

    Paul Thacker

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hello everyone 

    Just wanted to say thanks you guys for all of your feedback.  Prior to the move I'm also looking to start my real estate investing career. I'm moving with my job but my ten year plan is to be financially free and real estate is the next thing that I would like to invest in. I have been doing a lot of homework on the subject and will be ready to start in the next five months. I will be interested in speaking with some of you on a one on one bases to get so guidance. How can I send messages directly you guys individual.

    Thank you 

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    9y

    When I was younger and fresh out of college I liked Charlotte more than Raleigh, but I would much rather raise a family in Raleigh. I have lived in Raleigh basically my whole life (I'm the rare person born in Raleigh) and even if I look at things objectively I am not sure there is a place I'd rather live. The economy is so diverse our risk of a major localized recessions is much lower than Charlotte (too concentrated in banking). The government will always be here, we have major universities, tech, banking, pharmaceuticals, and more. While any one of those could crash at any time (well not the government/universities hah)  it is hard to imagine a scenario where they all do at once.

    I am biased as a born and raised Raleigh citizen, but there is a reason everyone moves here and never leaves (I-95 must be a one way road for moving trucks...who knew?) I know a ton of families where 1 person moved down here, other people came to visit, and then they moved here too! 

    One other thing I have noticed, but it might be a sample size. My friends who moved to Charlotte after college lived in the city proper for a few years, but when they got married or bought a house they moved to suburbs like Hunterville, Pineville, and others I forget the names of. The vast majority of my Raleigh friends, myself included, are still in Raleigh proper. 

    I am not sure if that is a reflection of the Charlotte school quality, the real estate market, or what, but I like that I actually live in Raleigh proper.

  • Santee, CA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    As a somewhat newer resident to Raleigh, I agree with what everyone has said about the area. I moved here from San Diego because I could not find anywhere that had a better balance of: cost of living, population growth, diversified economy, employment, some higher rates school districts and proximity to the ocean and the mountains. Although I will be moving back to San Diego, it is for personal reasons. So far I have met great, friendly people and will be Pursuing my investing here. I hope you find it as enjoyable as the rest of us and good luck in your investing journey.
  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Eric F. I agree with everything you said.  I can't tell you how many homes I sold to family members of people who recently moved to the area.  It's like the worst kept secret.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.